Question Transfer app HDD to SSD

nickname1400

Reputable
Oct 7, 2016
I just built my first custom pc with a 1 tb ssd and windows 10. I want use the programs and files from my old computers hdd but was curious about something before I buy a cable to transfer the data. If I plug plug in the HDD but still boot from the ssd, will I be able to transfer data to the ssd and still use it like it was on the HDD?

Impu7se

Commendable
Feb 13, 2019
yea you should be able to do so. but before you boot from ssd check the bios after you have connected the hdd to your pc so it wont change it self to prior boot drive.

USAFRet

Titan
Not so fast...

You can't just copy the "programs" from your old drive to the new OS and SSD.
You can't use the applications where they sit on the old drive. Completely wrong path, and the new OS knows nothing about them.

Your old "data"...meaning your personal files...sure. No problem.

USAFRet

Titan
I just built my first custom pc with a 1 tb ssd and windows 10. I want use the programs and files from my old computers hdd but was curious about something before I buy a cable to transfer the data. If I plug plug in the HDD but still boot from the ssd, will I be able to transfer data to the ssd and still use it like it was on the HDD?
To reiterate:

Your personal files, yes.
The applications on that drive, no.

nickname1400

Reputable
Oct 7, 2016
Not so fast...

You can't just copy the "programs" from your old drive to the new OS and SSD.
You can't use the applications where they sit on the old drive. Completely wrong path, and the new OS knows nothing about them.

Your old "data"...meaning your personal files...sure. No problem.
Okay, so how do I go about doing that?

nickname1400

Reputable
Oct 7, 2016
Doing what?

Any applications will need to be reinstalled with this new system and OS.
Your personal files? Connect that old drive as a secondary, and navigate to where those files live. Copy as needed.

Ideally, you copy EVERYTHING you need form that old drive, and then wipe it clean. Use as desired.
So when you say reinstall, lets say I have some games from steam. I dont want to redownload them becuase I have limited internet. Is there a way I can install them without re downloading?

USAFRet

Titan
So when you say reinstall, lets say I have some games from steam. I dont want to redownload them becuase I have limited internet. Is there a way I can install them without re downloading?

Steam games, generally no problem.

Install a new Steam client on this new system and OS.
Assuming you have the old drive connected as a secondary, locate the SteamApps folder.
Drill down until you find the folder "common".
You can copy this to the new drive. The new Steam client should recognize it and the games therein.

nickname1400

Reputable
Oct 7, 2016
Steam games, generally no problem.

Install a new Steam client on this new system and OS.
Assuming you have the old drive connected as a secondary, locate the SteamApps folder.
Drill down until you find the folder "common".
You can copy this to the new drive. The new Steam client should recognize it and the games therein.
What about moving settings?