Transfer cpu and hard drives to second hand laptop?

Apr 26, 2018
Hi,
I have an old friend who is an HP DV9600 laptop. The motherboard is damaged beyond repair. If I were to buy another second hand DV9600 or DV9700 laptop, could I transfer the CPU and Hard drives from my old laptop to the "new" one and retain the licences for Office etc and data from my old one please?
Thank you for any help.
Neil

Solution
If you put them in the new laptop it should be exactly as your old one.
And the boot drive is the actual drive,it can be a hard drive,ssd,nvme ssd...

Tony_186

Honorable
Jun 3, 2017
Well if the cpu is soldered to the motherboard which alot of manufacturers are doing no.
You will still be able to remove the hard drive and put it in the new laptop.

If not you can take it out and put it in the other one.
But if you're buying the exact same laptop why do you need to change the CPU.
Just wondering.

Apr 26, 2018
Sorry, obviously not made the Q clear!!
Where do the licences reside within the laptop? CPU? Hard drive?
Most laptops second hand on the market have had the M'soft Office programs removed....all the ones currently available have. My old laptop has the licence in it somewhere (CPU?) for my copy of M'soft office. My Q' is really: If I were to move the CPU (it is not soldered to the M'board, but in a removable socket) and the hard drives, would it boot up as if it were my old friend?
Or do I only need to move the primary hard drive to keep all the licences for Win7 and Office/files etc? (I am sure I have tried this in the past, but the laptop won't boot up)
Thanks,
Neil

Apr 26, 2018
Ok, the old M'board is dead.
What happens if I transfer the CPU and Hard Drives to a second hand laptop which is identical to this one? Will it boot up as if it were my old one? Surely the active components are the CPU and HDDs, or are there files written to other chips within the MB which will prevent the laptop from working?
The boot drive is in the CPU or the HDDs or somewhere else?

Apr 26, 2018
Thank you Tony........
Just a little Q....
My old laptop is a Turion processor, the one I am possibly getting has an Athlon.....I guess the drivers in my HDDs will not be good for the Athlon, or are they part of the BIOS in the processor?
Neil