[SOLVED] transfer data between two external disks

Nikon1234

Reputable
May 30, 2016
Hi.

I want to backup an external disk. 3TB both with usb3. I am using ASUS X540LA, windows 10. There are three ports on the left side of the computer, one type C, one usb3 and one usb2. When I copied data from one external drive to the computer, through either type C or usb3, I could get 30 MB/s. When I copied between the two external drives with usb3 cable, connected to the type C and usb3 of the computer, I only got 18 MB/s. Is it normal for achieving 18 MB/s on ASUS X540LA?

If the computer cannot provide the high speed transferring data, what is the cheapest way of getting a used computer which could give me ~50 MB/s between the two USB3 external drives?

thanks for the help.

Dan

Solution
A LOT of the performance depends on the size and number of files.
A lot of very small files WILL be a lot slower than one large sequential.
Add to that the USB interface in both directions.

But it will eventually finish.

USAFRet

Titan
A LOT of the performance depends on the size and number of files.
A lot of very small files WILL be a lot slower than one large sequential.
Add to that the USB interface in both directions.

But it will eventually finish.

Solution

Nikon1234

Reputable
May 30, 2016
is there a laptop you recommend, better an 'old' one, that can copy files between two external hdd, that may get around 50 MB/s. I like refurbished computers, actually, all my recent laptops are refurbished ones, like thinkpad t410, t420, but they all only has usb2 port.

thanks.

USAFRet

Titan
is there a laptop you recommend, better an 'old' one, that can copy files between two external hdd, that may get around 50 MB/s. I like refurbished computers, actually, all my recent laptops are refurbished ones, like thinkpad t410, t420, but they all only has usb2 port.

thanks.
If your current system is going between USB type C and USB 3x....that is about as fast as it will get.

What type of "backups" are you doing? How much data, and how often?