Transfer data on usb drive to hard drive

JoyfulNoise

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
For some reason, my usb drive was write protected. I cannot remove the protection. On the usb drive some files are corrupt. How can I transfer the data from usb to my hard drive so that I can transfer it to another usb drive in the future?

My Sony Vaio runs on Windows 7.

Solution
Well, this is a bit tricky. When flash drives start to fail, they tend to lock themselves sometimes, which would mean that you were lucky to be able to get some or all of your data (congrats on that btw!). Anyway, I guess you get the same message when you try to reformat it as usual, so you could check if the pen drive manufacturer offers a formatting tool and try it out, to see if it works for you.
Hey there, JoyfulNoise.

You could try out this tutorial on removing the write protection from a USB flash drive or a memory card: http://www.wikihow.com/Disable-Write-Protection.
Another option would be to try the USB flash drive with a different computer to see if the same thing happens again.
You could also try accessing that pen drive via Ubuntu Live USB, to see if it's properly recognized and if you can get to your data. Or try out some data recovery programs: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1644496/lost-data-recovery.html

Please let me know how it goes.
Boogieman_WD

JoyfulNoise

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013

JoyfulNoise

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
Thank you, Boogieman.
I tried every step and nothing worked. So, I spent 4 hours last night opening each file and transferring what was not corrupted to my c drive. How can I re-format the drive now? It's a PNY 16 GB. Again, Thank You.

Well, this is a bit tricky. When flash drives start to fail, they tend to lock themselves sometimes, which would mean that you were lucky to be able to get some or all of your data (congrats on that btw!). Anyway, I guess you get the same message when you try to reformat it as usual, so you could check if the pen drive manufacturer offers a formatting tool and try it out, to see if it works for you.

Solution

JoyfulNoise

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
Boogieman,
Thank you, again.

I tried and gave it my best shot. I took the drive from the casing, ran a magnet over it and then beat it to death with a hammer.

I appreciate your help.