Question Transfer data

steelrfan85

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
I currently have 2 HDD and now just got a Samsung evo SSD. I have heard t put the OS and my games on the SSD. If I already have two HDD how am I suppose to get my OS into the SSD without losing everything else? I wouldn’t have OS on the HDD and SSD would I? I have never used a SSD. I’m installing a new mobo and everything. Computer from scratch.

joelmappa

Commendable
Apr 9, 2017
You can clone the hdd 1 that contains the os in your ssd as for the hdd 2 data you can copy it normally into your ssd but you will probably have to reinstall applications from the hdd that does not contain the os

ElectrO_90

Dignified
BANNED
SSD has to be same size or bigger than original HDD
Samsung Magician works really well https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/magician/
We don't know how you have your system setup or what F drive is.
You can only CLONE 1 hdd to another hdd, you can't clone parts of one drive to another drive.

From what I understand is you should clone your original C drive to SSD
Remove old HDD, your F drive will be seen by your SSD as it is a clone of your original C drive.

After it all works, you then add your old hdd in and format it.

or is your F drive just a drive on your original hard disk?

steelrfan85

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Ok currently I have a 500gb HDD with my OS and files. I have another HDD that I just named F: drive with another 500gb. I only have probably 750GB between the both of them. I didn’t know if I could clone both HDD whole into the SSD

ElectrO_90

Dignified
BANNED
Ok currently I have a 500gb HDD with my OS and files. I have another HDD that I just named F: drive with another 500gb. I only have probably 750GB between the both of them. I didn’t know if I could clone both HDD whole into the SSD
You cannot clone both, unless you get 2 SSDs and clone each one.

So in theory, you could get a 1tb SSD and put both hdd's onto one SSD - as long as neither HD is over 500GB of used space.

SSD 1TB
Format into 500/500 per drive
Clone old C onto new 500gb
Copy or clone F: to new 500gb
rename old F drive to Z drive, and rename new 500gb to F drive and it will work.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts