Question Transfer data

steelrfan85

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
I currently have 2 HDD and now just got a Samsung evo SSD. I have heard t put the OS and my games on the SSD. If I already have two HDD how am I suppose to get my OS into the SSD without losing everything else? I wouldn’t have OS on the HDD and SSD would I? I have never used a SSD. I’m installing a new mobo and everything. Computer from scratch.

joelmappa

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
You can clone the hdd 1 that contains the os in your ssd as for the hdd 2 data you can copy it normally into your ssd but you will probably have to reinstall applications from the hdd that does not contain the os

SSD has to be same size or bigger than original HDD
Samsung Magician works really well https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/magician/
We don't know how you have your system setup or what F drive is.
You can only CLONE 1 hdd to another hdd, you can't clone parts of one drive to another drive.

From what I understand is you should clone your original C drive to SSD
Remove old HDD, your F drive will be seen by your SSD as it is a clone of your original C drive.

After it all works, you then add your old hdd in and format it.

or is your F drive just a drive on your original hard disk?

steelrfan85

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Ok currently I have a 500gb HDD with my OS and files. I have another HDD that I just named F: drive with another 500gb. I only have probably 750GB between the both of them. I didn’t know if I could clone both HDD whole into the SSD

Ok currently I have a 500gb HDD with my OS and files. I have another HDD that I just named F: drive with another 500gb. I only have probably 750GB between the both of them. I didn’t know if I could clone both HDD whole into the SSD

You cannot clone both, unless you get 2 SSDs and clone each one.

So in theory, you could get a 1tb SSD and put both hdd's onto one SSD - as long as neither HD is over 500GB of used space.

SSD 1TB
Format into 500/500 per drive
Clone old C onto new 500gb
Copy or clone F: to new 500gb
rename old F drive to Z drive, and rename new 500gb to F drive and it will work.