Transfer Files Help!!!

Caleb Ledbetter

Honorable
Jul 21, 2013
I have 2 Hard Drives, one with OS, one with games. Can I wipe the OS drive while installing my new copy of 7, then plug the drive with my games in and it will work?

Note: I am putting the 2 drives in a new system with vastly different hardware

Solution

I would give it a shot. I didn't try it myself. But I would assume it works fundamentally the same as Steam. If worse comes to worse you'll just have to format the drive and re download everything. But that is the nice thing about having Steam or Origin, you don't need physical media.

jdevers

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
If it is steam, you can backup your SteamApps folder. Steam has a built in feature for this, but I have a different method. Back up your steamapps folder on your games HDD. After re installing Windows, you can then install Steam on the OS HDD. In settings create a new steam library under D:\Program Files(x86)\. Copy the contents of the backup over to the newly created steam library. Start Steam and it will detect the games. Some will work right off the bat, others you may need to right click and check integrity. Steam will scan the programs and fix anything that may be missing, usually registry entries.

jdevers

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

I hear you man. I spent 7 hours yesterday downloading BF3. Just under 20 GBs. It doesn't help that Origin servers are so slow. 1MB/s compared to about 4.5 I get on Steam.

Caleb Ledbetter

Honorable
Jul 21, 2013

So can I just reinstall Origin in the same location on the new PC and it will find my games?

jdevers

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

I would give it a shot. I didn't try it myself. But I would assume it works fundamentally the same as Steam. If worse comes to worse you'll just have to format the drive and re download everything. But that is the nice thing about having Steam or Origin, you don't need physical media.

Solution