Question Transfer files over network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 22, 2022
I have tplink router vr 600 ac 2100

And I connect 2 hard disk to the router usb 3 port ,, to use it for dlan and smb ( seagate backup plus hub 8 tb + wd elements 18 tb)

I want to know how to transfer files directly between the two hard disks without copy files to my pc first then transfer this files to the other hard disk

kanewolf

Titan
I have tplink router vr 600 ac 2100

And I connect 2 hard disk to the router usb 3 port ,, to use it for dlan and smb ( seagate backup plus hub 8 tb + wd elements 18 tb)

I want to know how to transfer files directly between the two hard disks without copy files to my pc first then transfer this files to the other hard disk
The only device that could do that is the router, since that is what they are connected to. If there is no method in the GUI of the router to access the contents of the disks then there is no way to avoid copying the files to an intermediary device and back.

Buy a purpose built NAS device, like a Synology or QNAP. They allow local access to the disk contents.

Apr 22, 2022
The only device that could do that is the router, since that is what they are connected to. If there is no method in the GUI of the router to access the contents of the disks then there is no way to avoid copying the files to an intermediary device and back.

Buy a purpose built NAS device, like a Synology or QNAP. They allow local access to the disk contents.

All I can see on the router is the two hard disks with it's storage only

Apr 22, 2022

Can I use my pc to copy files between the two hard disk directly

You mean that I can copy across the network to computers but not between the two hard disk directly ,, right??
Two hard drives alone cannot communicate with one another, they require an intermediary to handle the communications. That's what the PC does. The router will supply an interface but does not know how to do anything other than make the drive/s visible to other nodes on the network. Copying drive to drive is going to require a PC (and the data WILL pass through that PC) no matter how you do it.

Reactions: Hotboy87
Apr 22, 2022
Two hard drives alone cannot communicate with one another, they require an intermediary to handle the communications. That's what the PC does. The router will supply an interface but does not know how to do anything other than make the drive/s visible to other nodes on the network. Copying drive to drive is going to require a PC (and the data WILL pass through that PC) no matter how you do it.

And to do what I want I have to buy nas ,, right ,, I can connect extrnal hard disk to nas and transfer file between nas and extrnal hard disk directly ,, right??

Apr 22, 2022
A NAS is nothing more than a box that contains multiple storage devices and allows one to aggregate them in several ways. You will still require a PC to do file operations. There is no way to avoid this no matter how convoluted you try to make it.
Then I need your advice

I have western digital elements 18 tb and I connected it to my router to use it for dlan and smb ,, sometimes my friends send external hard disk to me to copy movies and series from my hard disk to their hard disk ,, and I don't want to disconnected my hard disk from the router and I want to copy files directly from my hard disk to their hard disk with full hard disk speed

What I can do??

Apr 22, 2022
Then I need your advice

I have western digital elements 18 tb and I connected it to my router to use it for dlan and smb ,, sometimes my friends send external hard disk to me to copy movies and series from my hard disk to their hard disk ,, and I don't want to disconnected my hard disk from the router and I want to copy files directly from my hard disk to their hard disk with full hard disk speed

What I can do??
Unless you have another USB port on the router and the router has a terminal with some basic utilities, there's nothing you can do other than hook up your friend's drive to another computer and access yours over the network. You're not going to get the full speed since hard drives are capable of capping 1GbE, but that's still fast enough I'd argue.

kanewolf

Titan
A NAS is nothing more than a box that contains multiple storage devices and allows one to aggregate them in several ways. You will still require a PC to do file operations. There is no way to avoid this no matter how convoluted you try to make it.
Not true. A purpose built NAS has sufficient OS and APPs that you can copy between disks without network traffic. There is network traffic to display the session on the NAS, but file copies can be done just on the SATA ports and memory of the NAS.

Apr 22, 2022
I’m not familiar with each, but you have the ability to log into one and have a UI, map the other drive to that one, then you can do it. At least that’s how I do it on my QNAP NAS😁

Apr 22, 2022
Yes, you can.

What you originally asked was to somehow transfer data between two drives connected to your router.
There needs to be some brain in the middle to facilitate this transfer.

A PC, NAS or something similar.

As there any router can have feature to something like this from it's operating system??

Apr 22, 2022
Why are you trying to make this sometimes data transfer harder and more expensive than it needs to be?

A couple of $20 USB docks connected to your PC, done.

I have a lot of friends , and they give me their external hard disks to copy movies and series from my western digital 18 tb that connected to my router

And now I have to eject my hard disk from router and connect it to my pc and connect my friend external hard disk also to my pc to copy this files and it took a lot of time and I want to use my hard disk to watch my content (SMB)

Is there any way to copy files while my hard disk connect to the router??

Status
Not open for further replies.