Transfer Hard Drive to new Pc with an OS, but don't need the OS

Apr 13, 2018
I want to transfer my old hard drive to my new computer. My new computer already has Window's 10 on it. It is all set up and ready to go. I want to transfer everything from my old pc's hard drive which has Window's 10 on it as well. Will putting that hard drive in my new computer cause a problem if it has windows 10 on it?

Solution
This is what I would do. I would connect the drive to the new machine but MAKE SURE IN THE BIOS THAT IT IS BOOTING FROM THE NEW DRIVE IN THE NEW MACHINE LIKE IT IS NOW.

So go to the BIOS and confirm it is there...and then check that it is set to boot from the same drive it is booting from now.

Save the BIOS.
Exit the BIOS and let it boot.

You should be able to see the second drive in Windows.

Now you can get all the data files off that drive.

As far as programs....I would just reinstall them on the new drive....I wouldn't try and transfer them.

As far as the Windows 10 OS on the old drive....I wouldn't do anything with that.

After I got all my data files off I would format the old drive and use it for storage.

This is what I would do. I would connect the drive to the new machine but MAKE SURE IN THE BIOS THAT IT IS BOOTING FROM THE NEW DRIVE IN THE NEW MACHINE LIKE IT IS NOW.

So go to the BIOS and confirm it is there...and then check that it is set to boot from the same drive it is booting from now.

Save the BIOS.
Exit the BIOS and let it boot.

You should be able to see the second drive in Windows.

Now you can get all the data files off that drive.

As far as programs....I would just reinstall them on the new drive....I wouldn't try and transfer them.

As far as the Windows 10 OS on the old drive....I wouldn't do anything with that.

After I got all my data files off I would format the old drive and use it for storage.

Solution
Apr 13, 2018
Not sure where the reply button is but, thanks a lot for a quick response. I was thinking that's all I would need to do but wasn't so sure. I'm not worried about the many software's on it, just the tons of work files, pictures, and a few games on it. Thanks again o/

The reply button is in the bottom right of the window...but it's text and not a button.

It sounds like you have it figured out. The main thing is not to boot from the drive you want data from because obviously that would cause confusion.

Have a good rest of the day.