Transfer OEM Licence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blt54321

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2013
I bought a legitimate copy of windows 7 so that I can upgrade to windows 10 on my computer but I have heard that after you install an OEM version of windows you can't transfer it to a new PC. Is that true, and will it be the same for windows 10?

Solution
1) You can't TRANSFER a license (even if possible) once you upgrade to W10. That will invalidate the license completely.

2) *I recommend WAITING if you want, then install Windows 10 from scratch (after July 31st).

As it stands now, if you install W7 then you can register and W10 will download and automatically install itself which may or may not go perfectly. It also may not delete backup files but we'll see.

I assume there will be a way to download the W10 image, burn to DVD, and install manually then input your W7 activation code but unfortunately Microsoft isn't clear on this. (I want to do a CLEAN install as well for my existing setup.)

USAFRet

Titan

An OEM Windows 7 will become an OEM Windows 10.
Same license rules will apply. You cannot transfer that to a new device.

USAFRet

Titan

Illegal copies will remain illegal, even after a 'maybe' upgrade to Win 10.

1) You can't TRANSFER a license (even if possible) once you upgrade to W10. That will invalidate the license completely.

2) *I recommend WAITING if you want, then install Windows 10 from scratch (after July 31st).

As it stands now, if you install W7 then you can register and W10 will download and automatically install itself which may or may not go perfectly. It also may not delete backup files but we'll see.

I assume there will be a way to download the W10 image, burn to DVD, and install manually then input your W7 activation code but unfortunately Microsoft isn't clear on this. (I want to do a CLEAN install as well for my existing setup.)

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.