Transfer OS via HDD

TurnipBlaster

Reputable
Dec 13, 2014
So here`s the problem. I bought all my computer parts and blew my entire budget on the build, seems normal right? But I forgot to spare $100 for my OS and now I have an entire high-end pc without an OS. I try to refrain from pirating and have thought of salvaging my old pc's HDD and use its windows XP for my new build. Any help?

USAFRet

Titan

That old HDD with XP actually booting in your new hardware is very, very doubtful.
Does your new equipment have drivers for XP? Probably not.

Moving a drive with an existing OS is very much of a 'sometimes' thing. The father apart the hardware is, the less likely it is to work.
I have two Compaq laptops on my desk, almost identical. Moving the HDD with Win 7 from one to the other...no boot.

You can download a valid Windows 7 ISO, burn to DVD, install, and use it for 30 days.
Maybe that will give you enough time to save up the $95 for a new Windows 7 DVD and license key.
Download here: http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/

TurnipBlaster

Reputable
Dec 13, 2014
Thank you! but just to be sure xp wouldnt work on my new build, here are my specs
Gigabyte z97 ud3h motherboard
i5-4690k processor
2x Sandisk Ultra 256GB
Corsair H100i
bitfenix fure 550w PSU
Seagate 1TB hard drive
seagate 250gb hard drive (old HDD with windows XP)
Patriot viper (2x4GB) DDR3-1866
Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 1329MHZ 4GB 7.0GHZ GDDR5
can you confirm that the os wouldn't work just by looking at these specs?

Or Windows 10 for free.

USAFRet

Titan

Windows 10 is currently in a Tech Preview state. Simply to allow people to evaluate the features and capabilities.

It is NOT recommended that you use this as a primary system on your main PC. Things can and do change, whenever MS feels like it. I have it running on a secondary laptop, just to see what it does and does not do.

Next month (Jan 2015), supposedly the Consumer Preview comes out. Still not a finished product. That is sometime in the fall of 2015 at the earliest.

It is NOT recommended for a primary PC, and you WILL have to buy it eventually.

USAFRet

Titan

SteamOS is merely a Linux variant, based on Debian, and specifically aimed at (some) Steam games and the Steam platform.
Not all games are available for that.

TurnipBlaster

Reputable
Dec 13, 2014

so the best option is either win 7 or 8 correct? in that case which do you recommend?

USAFRet

Titan

Unless you really, really dislike the user interface for some reason, go with Win 8.1. Otherwise, Win 7. Probably Home Premium.
With either, the 64bit version.

TurnipBlaster

Reputable
Dec 13, 2014

Thank you USAFRet this has really been helpful, especially for a novice in such matters like me.

TurnipBlaster

Reputable
Dec 13, 2014

Also, one more thing. Is it normal to install a bunch of software once I build the pc? like for a graph card, adapter, cpu cooler, etc.. or can i just skip along those parts?

USAFRet

Titan

Drivers for your hardware. Motherboard, GPU, etc, etc.
Yes, you must install these.