[SOLVED] Transfer Shared Folder Settings to Maintain Mapped Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
There isn't a Windows Server forum. So, networking felt like the best match.

What I'm trying to figure out. Is if there is a way to transfer settings of a shared folder. Having the new shared folder will replace the old. So, all computers which have mapped drives to that share. Start working on the new share instead.

Let's say
  • 20 Client computers have "Widgets" mapped to Z:\
  • On Windows Server "Widgets" is on D:\
  • A new drive is installed and "Widgets" gets cloned onto the E:\
  • Now I want all those client computers to access "Widgets" from the server's E:\

Is there a way to transfer those share settings in the server directing people from the D:\ to the E:\. So, I don't have to go to each of the 20 client computers and remap the Z:\.

I'd also want to transfer permissions.

Solution
Client computers don't care where the the actual folder is, all they know is "\\server\widgets". In Server' Computer Management, you can see a list of shared folders, and just move that folder' location from D: to E: And while copying the folder contenets will keep file permissions, it will not keep folder share permissions, which you will have to recreate (probably).
Use a login script tied to each user's domain account to map drives. Then you only have to make the change in one place. Moving the shared folder (good old drag and drop) from one share to another should maintain permissions. If you're not running a domain (and you should be with that many users) then it's going to be a long and manual process.

Client computers don't care where the the actual folder is, all they know is "\\server\widgets". In Server' Computer Management, you can see a list of shared folders, and just move that folder' location from D: to E: And while copying the folder contenets will keep file permissions, it will not keep folder share permissions, which you will have to recreate (probably).

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.