Transfer space from D:\ drive to C:\ drive?

iViscosity

Commendable
Jul 1, 2016
I have 2 partitions on my drive, and C:\ is my boot drive, with windows, while D:\ is my drive for games, pictures, music, and things like that. However, C:\ drive only has enough space for Windows, and not temp files that are automatically put on there. I've tried using the Disk Management tool to shrink D:\ (~670GB) and expand C:\ (~21GB) but Expand isn't an option for C:\ (I'm assuming because that's where Windows is installed). Is there any way I can do this without having to download third party applications?

audie-tron25

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
The only way to do this would be to transfer everything off of D, format the drive, extend C and then create D drive again. You have to do this because your D partition physically starts where C drive ends so it needs to be removed to extend C. You might be better off installing a HDD if you can't do this but it is completely up to you.

Windows Disk Management can expand the System Partition, but there must be an unallocated disk space next to the partition. If the disk space leftover from shrinking partition D is unallocated but that doesn't help, see if starting Disk Management from the Control Panel (according to howtogeek guide) makes any diference... and if it doesn't, you could use a third party Partition Manager but in portable edition that you don't have to install or uninstall, and doesn't leave traces when removed... and you can use it from the HDD or from a USB flash drive.

Resize a Partition for Free in Windows 7, 8.x, 10, or Vista
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/resize-a-partition-for-free-in-windows-vista/

MiniTool Portable Partition Magic Brings Easier Disk/Partition Management
https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/portable-partition-magic.html

iViscosity

Commendable
Jul 1, 2016
Thanks for your answers, guys, but turns out I found it easier, for me, at least, to just reinstall windows on a different drive, and just allocate more space at the start. I gave it about 120 GB, and my main partition about 600 GB. Thanks for your help, anyways!