[SOLVED] Transfer speed over Wired less than wireless

Shadab_faiz

Commendable
Feb 16, 2020
I have an RJ45 Cat 7 3m cable. These are the speed that i'm getting:

Laptop connected to Dekstop with cable directyl: 10Mbps
Laptop and Desktop connected wireless over my router: 35Mbps
Laptop and Desktop connected via router with cat 7 cables: 113Mbps.

The 1st scenario is the one that is disturbing me. Is this expected?
The speed in the 1st scenario should be maximum as there is no middle agent.
[Edit]
Laptop has sata ssd and Desktop has nvme ssd

Last edited:
Solution
What are you using to test? - Single 5GB video file.
If laptop is connected to desktop, then what is desktop connected to for internet?
When I connect laptop to Desktop directly with ethernet cable, then Desktop is not connected to internet.(Thinking of solving this issue also.)
Typical testing is done with speedtest or something, that is why I asked what you were using to test.
My guess is that your point to point connection is not negotiating to a gigabit link speed.
"Cat7" cables are usually garbage. They are sold with a high category number to get uninformed people to buy them. They are usually flat cables with no certification. Get some 100% copper round cat5e cables and test. I like these --...

kanewolf

Titan
I have an RJ45 Cat 7 3m cable. These are the speed that i'm getting:

Laptop connected to Dekstop with cable directyl: 10Mbps
Laptop and Desktop connected wireless over my router: 35Mbps
Laptop and Desktop connected via router with cat 7 cables: 113Mbps.

The 1st scenario is the one that is disturbing me. Is this expected?
The speed in the 1st scenario should be maximum as there is no middle agent.
What are you using to test? If laptop is connected to desktop, then what is desktop connected to for internet? WIFI ?

Shadab_faiz

Commendable
Feb 16, 2020
What are you using to test? If laptop is connected to desktop, then what is desktop connected to for internet? WIFI ?
If laptop is connected to desktop, then what is desktop connected to for internet?
When I connect laptop to Desktop directly with ethernet cable, then Desktop is not connected to internet.(Thinking of solving this issue also.)

kanewolf

Titan
Typical testing is done with speedtest or something, that is why I asked what you were using to test.
My guess is that your point to point connection is not negotiating to a gigabit link speed.
"Cat7" cables are usually garbage. They are sold with a high category number to get uninformed people to buy them. They are usually flat cables with no certification. Get some 100% copper round cat5e cables and test. I like these -- https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Flexboot-Cat5e-Ethernet-Patch/dp/B00KWS7GAC

Solution

Shadab_faiz

Commendable
Feb 16, 2020
"Cat7" cables are usually garbage. They are sold with a high category number to get uninformed people to buy them. They are usually flat cables with no certification. Get some 100% copper round cat5e cables and test. I like these -- https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Flexboot-Cat5e-Ethernet-Patch/dp/B00KWS7GAC
I'm using Amazon basic Cat 7, I bought it based on the reviews.
Typical testing is done with speedtest: I'm testing by transfering single 5Gb video file from Desktop to Laptop and vice versa. Is ther eany other/better way to do it?

My understanding of the problem is that it only occurs when the Desktop computer is used to share the internet connection or used as a network bridge. Therefor I've no reason to suspect the NIC on the laptop being part of the problem.

Please provide name/model of the Desktop, name/models of the NIC and specify it's setup and which of them is connected to the Laptop.

Shadab_faiz

Commendable
Feb 16, 2020
My understanding of the problem is that it only occurs when the Desktop computer is used to share the internet connection or used as a network bridge. Therefor I've no reason to suspect the NIC on the laptop being part of the problem.

Please provide name/model of the Desktop, name/models of the NIC and specify it's setup and which of them is connected to the Laptop.
How do i find name/models of the NIC ?