[SOLVED] Transfer Speeds? SATA HDD to USB 3.0 HDD

SenorClarky

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
I'm in the midst of a storage overhaul. I have a Z97-A with a 4790K proicessor and 32GBs Ram. It also has a 1TB SSD connected via m.2 (I'm aware this will share bandwidth with one SATA connected drive)

I've recently installed an 8TB Iron Wolf Pro as a single volume for all image storage (I'm a photographer and printer). It will be backed up to another 8TB Iron Wolf Pro in my Synology.

I also have a Lacie Rugged 5TB Mini connected via USB 3.0.

I'm transfering 4TB from the Iron Wolf Pro to Lacie directly. I appear to be 'averaging' about 4 to 5 MB/s. The transfer has taken over a day.

Ideas? Suggestions? Why so slow?

Solution
Should be 80+MB/s. I usually test a single large file copy before starting something large like this. Sometimes things bork out and you get stuck with 20-25MB/s USB2.0 speeds, which is never fun when copying 100s of GB.

I think at this point you should just let it finish. 200GB remaining of 4TB is 95% complete.

SenorClarky

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
There is 200GB remaining over 30000 files and it is hovering at about 3MB/s as it works on what I imagine are Lightroom previews (lots of small files) Is this just down to sheer file numbers? Would zipping 4TB we worthwile to facilitate the throughput? Speeds pickup a bit when it gets back to dealing with 30MB images.

Should be 80+MB/s. I usually test a single large file copy before starting something large like this. Sometimes things bork out and you get stuck with 20-25MB/s USB2.0 speeds, which is never fun when copying 100s of GB.

I think at this point you should just let it finish. 200GB remaining of 4TB is 95% complete.

Reactions: SenorClarky
Solution