Transfer speeds very slow

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jr8801

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
I have a Samsung spinpoint f3 and i am trying to transfer some stuff to a usb 3.0 Goflex 1.5tb drive. I started at 325 mb/s and quickly stumbled to 14 mb/s.... I transferred the same data to a usb 2.0 drive and got 30 mb/s constant.

I have a gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 motherboard. which has two usb 3.0 inputs.

Anybody know why im getting so slow of transfer speeds to my usb 3.0 drive.

Solution
The usb 3.0 high bandwidth allows for really fast emptying of the fast disk cache in the initial moment (burst rate), and leave the mechanically slow hard disk platter to transfer small files, requiring constant stop to seek new file. In contrasts, in usb 2.0, the mechanical hard disk also transfer at 15MBps but since bandwidth bottleneck restrict the emptying of the cache in burst at the beginning, the data in the fast cache linger and is transfered at the same time as the platter data to saturate the 30MBps, giving it a more average speed. Now, if you have larger continuous file, like a any file over say 0.3GB. Because there is little seek for small file, hard disk platter will rotate without stopping. usb 3.0 will not be a bottleneck...

mojoinaboxx

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013

I have a gigabyte board as well the 970a-d3 , and I experiance the slow transfer as well, although it only started about a year after I had the board .... so did some searching Lots of searching and am still searching which explains how I ended up here. anyway, My problem has got so bad that when I transfer 2 4 gig files to my flash drive my whoe system starts to become sluggish ...at first I thought harddrives were failing(replaced) well didnt work, then I though flash drive was failing(replaced) didnt work, then someone said PSU(replaced) didnt work and getting pissed now, so now I find out it actualy the southbridge on the motherboard that is most likely failing. and with some quick adjustments to my google searches I find that gigabyte boards are becoming known for this. well glad it lasted a year for me at least so guess Ill go by another mobo from another maker. I cant say for sure that its the same problem you have man but it sure sound familiar so hope this helps and good luck.

DeBaas

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
Try this:
Switch off USB Legacy in BIOS and try your USB speed.

!!! WARNING !!!
BUT:
be sure to have a PS2 keyboard at hand before you do so,
you cannot get into BIOS with an USB keyboard when USB Legacy is switched off.