Question Transfer speeds

Aug 26, 2019
I have the gigabyte x299 designare motherboard with 64GB G.Skill DDR4 Trident Z 3600Mhz ram and the Intel Core i9 i9-9900X. My hard drive is the Samsung 960 PRO M.2 512GB, I'm transferring to a Silicon Power 1TB NVMe PCIe Gen3x4 in a ORICO NVME M.2 to Type-C USB3.1 inclosure.

I'm plugged into the USB-C thunderbolt 3 port on the back of the designare with a [Certified] Plugable Thunderbolt 3 40Gbps USB-C Cable going directly into the orico inclosure.
I'm only getting 160mbps ish. I'm expecting more like 3.5gbps, which is the approximate write speed of the silicon drive and what I see as the only bottleneck. If anyone can tell me what I'm missing I would really appreciate it.

Aug 26, 2019
Yeah I am trying to move a terabyte in one go or a little less I should say but I will try one individually and see how it goes. If that is the case then really what good is any of it

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Yeah I am trying to move a terabyte in one go or a little less I should say but I will try one individually and see how it goes. If that is the case then really what good is any of it
well if one file at a time goes really fast, then you transfer two files next, and then three, then four, so on and so forth until you reach the number of files at a time that starts the bottleneck then drop back by one file, and only move that certain number of files at a time to make it go faster and spend less time coming back to it to start another transfer

Aug 26, 2019
Thanks for all the replies it does go a little faster with less files but no matter how much I mess around the best I can get is about 1.8gbps. it's a lot better but still don't understand why I don't get 3400mbps

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Thanks for all the replies it does go a little faster with less files but no matter how much I mess around the best I can get is about 1.8gbps. it's a lot better but still don't understand why I don't get 3400mbps
Well obviously 1.8gbps is much better and much closer to what was stated you would get with that enclosure and it's speed limitations.

No matter which way you slice it, any external storage is going to be limited by the USB/thunderbolt interface.

You want full transfer speeds? Get a PCIe adapter for your SSD and use that instead of the external enclosure.

popatim

Titan
Not sure why you are expecting to write at 3500MB/s when the 960 Pro can only ready at 2200

Also if the SP 1tb is the P34A80, it can't write at 3500 either

This is the kind of things you should never believe manufacturers specs and verify them by reading reviews. Many drives slow down after writing a certain amount of data and sometimes they slow down to below HDD speeds. The Samsung Pro can read and write at it's advertised speeds for just about the whole drive. The SP, well that's why they claim UP TO 3500. Thanks to the drives' cache - it can; but once you exceed the cache you drop to it's native speed.

[edit] https://www.anandtech.com/show/1395...0-ssd-review-phison-e12-with-newer-firmware/2

Last edited: