Transfer Windows 7 system drive to new computer

detert

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013
I know this problem has been faced by a whole lot of people before me but I have a slightly different twist. I am not a complete idiot (some parts are missing) although it may sound like it. First, I have Acronis True Home Image and Paragon Hard disk manager. I also know that I must buy a new Windows 7 operating system.

Old setup: Windows 7 OEM on an 120 Gb SSD and an aps/data hard drive in a Dell Computer.
New computer: Windows 8 on a 2 Tb hard drive in a HP computer.
Desired setup: new Windows 7 on my old 120 Gb SSD system disk, my aps/data hard drive, and the 2 TB hard drive with Windows 8 in a non system / inactive / or hidden partition in HP computer.

I need to make sure that I do not end up with two competing operating systems which is a hell of a mess to clean up. (This happened to me upgrading from XP to 7). I know about changing the BIOS.

I need a strategy to do these disk swaps. I would like to reconstruct the system drive as close to the one I have now. If I cannot avoid re-installing all of my software I would at least like to port my user settings. I need to move the new drivers from the Windows 8 setup (eg graphic card). Microsoft should not make it this difficult to get a new computer.

Any help, suggestions or links is greatly appreciated. Thank you. I certainly hope a Windows 7 Master comes along.

Solution
You're not going to be able to migrate Windows 7 OEM from one motherboard to another if this is required at any step expect massive problems.

Microsoft do not support end users doing this and it stretches the licence agreement a little.

Decommission the old PC.
Call Microsoft to notify them that you are doing this.
Wait 2 weeks.
Migrate the OEM licence to the new PC.
You're not going to be able to migrate Windows 7 OEM from one motherboard to another if this is required at any step expect massive problems.

Microsoft do not support end users doing this and it stretches the licence agreement a little.

Decommission the old PC.
Call Microsoft to notify them that you are doing this.
Wait 2 weeks.
Migrate the OEM licence to the new PC.

Solution

detert

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013

I appreciate your help. From above "I also know that I must buy a new Windows 7 operating system." I know that an OEM version of Windows 7 cannot be moved to a computer with a different MOBO. I will purchase a new $179 copy of Windows 7 and install that somewhere during the transfer stream.