[SOLVED] Transfered my computer from one case to another, and now it wont turn on!

Beave89

Reputable
Jul 11, 2019
I was working on carpet without a grounding strap, the entire time.... and I wonder if I zapped it? I dunno. When I first flipped the psu on, the motherboard lit up for a second, then went dark. No cpu fan spin, nothing. I've checked to make sure the MB cable and cpu cable are tight, I've tried a different power cable with my psu, and I've reseated the ram and cpu. I needs help!

Solution
.... there's some very faint thermal paste residues on the front and back of the board. Could this be the cause of the shortage?

Only if it's the liquid metal and electrical conductive type. That's rare, never bundled with heatsinks and you'd know if you used it as it's very difficult to put on.

It sounds like your mobo was damaged somehow. Understanding how is useful to avoid repeats in the future. It could have been the missing standoff allowed something to touch metal that should not have.
I was working on carpet without a grounding strap, the entire time.... and I wonder if I zapped it? I dunno. When I first flipped the psu on, the motherboard lit up for a second, then went dark. No cpu fan spin, nothing. I've checked to make sure the MB cable and cpu cable are tight, I've tried a different power cable with my psu, and I've reseated the ram and cpu. I needs help!
electro-static zap is possible. you don't need a ground strap just always have one hand on something metal (or be leaning on it with bare skin)...like the case.

check the power cord in the PSU that it's fully inserted.

Bench it just like a new-built system.

Beave89

Reputable
Jul 11, 2019
Hi, the psu cord is nice and snug. I looked at the benching tips you sent and am about to remove the motherboard from the case, I'm using a micro atx motor in the fractal define 7....I only used 3 screws to secure it because those were the only ones that would screw in... the case came with a motherboard what I believe is a extra standoff but I neglected to use it. Could it be the motherboard needs that extra standoff? The case only came with 1 extra

Beave89

Reputable
Jul 11, 2019
Hi, the psu cord is nice and snug. I looked at the benching tips you sent and am about to
electro-static zap is possible. you don't need a ground strap just always have one hand on something metal (or be leaning on it with bare skin)...like the case.

check the power cord in the PSU that it's fully inserted.

Bench it just like a new-built system.
Hey, I removed the
Hi, the psu cord is nice and snug. I looked at the benching tips you sent and am about to remove the motherboard from the case, I'm using a micro atx motor in the fractal define 7....I only used 3 screws to secure it because those were the only ones that would screw in... the case came with a motherboard what I believe is a extra standoff but I neglected to use it. Could it be the motherboard needs that extra standoff? The case only came with 1 extra
Hey, I removed the mobo from the case and tested to see if I could get it to turn on, no dice.
remove the motherboard from the case, I'm using a micro atx motor in the fractal define 7....I only used 3 screws to secure it because those were the only ones that would screw in... the case came with a motherboard what I believe is a extra standoff but I neglected to use it. Could it be the motherboard needs that extra standoff? The case only came with 1 extra
Matx mobo*
If the lack of the standoff allows the board to contact the metal of the case it needs the standoff. That's why they are there...or should be.
Ok. Well, its looking like my motherboard is dead. I'm hoping it didn't take my ram, cpu and m.2 drive with it. Is that likely?

Matx mobo*

Ok. Well, its looking like my motherboard is dead. I'm hoping it didn't take my ram, cpu and m.2 drive with it. Is that likely?
It depends on what went happened.

Have you eliminated the PSU? If the motherboard came into contact with metal it could have shorted a voltage to ground and damaged that instead. An electrostatic damage would be fairly limited and not to power circuitry. So the motherboard should power up and light lights, fans blow and such, even though it doesn't boot. But a damaged PSU would act exactly as you related.

Do a paper clip test on the PSU with it completely disconnected from anything but the wall outlet. The PSU fan should spin up, although it might be only for a second or two if it's a silent model.

Beave89

Reputable
Jul 11, 2019
It depends on what went happened.

Have you eliminated the PSU? If the motherboard came into contact with metal it could have shorted a voltage to ground and damaged that instead. An electrostatic damage would be fairly limited and not to power circuitry. So the motherboard should power up and light lights, fans blow and such, even though it doesn't boot. But a damaged PSU would act exactly as you related.

Do a paper clip test on the PSU with it completely disconnected from anything but the wall outlet. The PSU fan should spin up, although it might be only for a second or two if it's a silent model.
Tried the paper clip test, the psu fan came on!

Tried the paper clip test, the psu fan came on!
That's both good..and bad. It means yah, the mobo or something on it is likely the bad part now. But good 'cause the PSU likely isn't, but only if you can get a mobo cheaper than a PSU.

CPU could be defective too, memory and M.2 not so likely. One thing to do: remove all three and GPU and try to start the computer. If it powers up (at least) with lights on and fans blowing, beeping error codes or flashing trouble LED's, you might figure it's one of them. Then try same thing with M.2 installed, then memory then GPU and last to add the CPU again. Where it stops lighting up that's going to be a bad part.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beave89

Beave89

Reputable
Jul 11, 2019
That's both good..and bad. It means yah, the mobo or something on it is likely the bad part now. But good 'cause the PSU likely isn't, but only if you can get a mobo cheaper than a PSU.

CPU could be defective too, memory and M.2 not so likely. One thing to do: remove all three and GPU and try to start the computer. If it powers up (at least) with lights on and fans blowing, beeping error codes or flashing trouble LED's, you might figure it's one of them. Then try same thing with M.2 installed, then memory then GPU and last to add the CPU again. Where it stops lighting up that's going to be a bad part.
Ok, I removed those from the motherboard, and no lights, nothing. I noticed last night that there's some very faint thermal paste residues on the front and back of the board. Could this be the cause of the shortage?

.... there's some very faint thermal paste residues on the front and back of the board. Could this be the cause of the shortage?

Only if it's the liquid metal and electrical conductive type. That's rare, never bundled with heatsinks and you'd know if you used it as it's very difficult to put on.

It sounds like your mobo was damaged somehow. Understanding how is useful to avoid repeats in the future. It could have been the missing standoff allowed something to touch metal that should not have.

Solution

Beave89

Reputable
Jul 11, 2019

I see. This case (fractal define 7) came with 1 standoff I neglected to use. I used 3 screws, could have used 4 from the looks of it. I used a micro-atx board.
P