[SOLVED] Transfering files from old Laptop to new PC

chafekaraditya

Reputable
Jan 3, 2018
So I am going to build a new PC soon and was searching for methods to get my files located in the old laptop onto the new PC as quickly as possible and had a question.

Can I plug in my laptop's HDD into an empty SATA port in my new mobo and copy files to my new SSD attached to that PC?
I don't want to copy windows but want to transfer files from the other local disks not from C:

If this is not possible in what other way can I get this done asap?

Solution
So I am going to build a new PC soon and was searching for methods to get my files located in the old laptop onto the new PC as quickly as possible and had a question.

Can I plug in my laptop's HDD into an empty SATA port in my new mobo and copy files to my new SSD attached to that PC?
I don't want to copy windows but want to transfer files from the other local disks not from C:

Much easier to have them both connected on the same house LAN.
Shared folder, and copy whatever you need from the laptop to the desktop.

Lutfij

Titan
You're better off just reinstalling the OS on the SSD. It saves you all the hair pulling when things go South. Also, an SSD would ideally be suited for the OS drive, having your critical data on an SSD that also has the OS on it is going to bode badly for the data on it.

You should also avoid having partitions on an SSD, not more than one(C Drive).

chafekaraditya

Reputable
Jan 3, 2018
You're better off just reinstalling the OS on the SSD. It saves you all the hair pulling when things go South. Also, an SSD would ideally be suited for the OS drive, having your critical data on an SSD that also has the OS on it is going to bode badly for the data on it.

You should also avoid having partitions on an SSD, not more than one(C Drive).
I think you misunderstood my question I do not want to install the OS as it will already be installed on my ssd.I am only interested in transfering FILES (pics,vids,docs,etc.) from my OLD laptop HDD to my NEW pc's SSD

USAFRet

Titan

Much easier to have them both connected on the same house LAN.
Shared folder, and copy whatever you need from the laptop to the desktop.

Solution