[SOLVED] Transfering OS to a new SSD.

xxthomas94

Commendable
Sep 14, 2019
So downloaded AOMEI Backupper Standard

And says can backup my os to the new SSD but I'm not sure what to do next.

Do I go into the settings on the mobo and select the new drive as the boot drive and the os should work on that drive? Can I take the old drive out or does it stay in?

I'm not good with software.

Last edited:
Solution
Yes. Shouldn't be an issue at all. You would need to use cloning or imaging to make the transfer............if you don't want to do a clean install onto the new drive. Cloning and imaging are separate processes, but either can work.

Aomei is pretty good, but if it fails try one of its competitors. I'm not positive if Aomei can do BOTH imaging and cloning.

Once the PC is booting from the new drive, you can remove the old one....or leave it inside and reformat it to use as a purely data drive, not Windows. Your choice.

You may get frustrated with learning how to do the cloning or imaging transfer to the new drive. If that happens, you can give up on that idea and instead do a clean install of Windows to the new drive. IF YOU DO THAT...
Yes. Shouldn't be an issue at all. You would need to use cloning or imaging to make the transfer............if you don't want to do a clean install onto the new drive. Cloning and imaging are separate processes, but either can work.

Aomei is pretty good, but if it fails try one of its competitors. I'm not positive if Aomei can do BOTH imaging and cloning.

Once the PC is booting from the new drive, you can remove the old one....or leave it inside and reformat it to use as a purely data drive, not Windows. Your choice.

You may get frustrated with learning how to do the cloning or imaging transfer to the new drive. If that happens, you can give up on that idea and instead do a clean install of Windows to the new drive. IF YOU DO THAT, BE SURE TO DISCONNECT THE OLD DRIVE BEFORE YOU DO THE CLEAN INSTALL TO THE NEW DRIVE.

Last edited:
Solution
So downloaded AOMEI Backupper Standard

And says can backup my os to the new SSD but I'm not sure what to do next.

Do I go into the settings on the mobo and select the new drive as the boot drive and the os should work on that drive? Can I take the old drive out or does it stay in?

I'm not good with software.
Aomei.......did you get the free version or the paid version?

Are you trying to just copy the OS to the new ssd or to copy everything to the new ssd?

TRENDING THREADS