[SOLVED] Transfering Windows 10 between PC's without losing licence?

vonsworld

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2012
Hello

I have Windows 10 on two laptops, both were licenced with a key (not OEM) and both are registered in my MS Account.

I'd like to take an image from one laptop and restore it to the other one, so they become identical.

What is the best way to do this please, so that the donor laptop retains its original licence and stays activated.

Since the donor laptop is registered to my MS account, will it automatically reactivate when I boot the new image? Or should I remove the licence from that machine using the SLMGR command, copy the image over, and then reactivate it with the original key?

Thanks for your advice

Robin

Solution
Thanks for your replies.
The laptops are pretty similar, I've swapped images before without any issues.

Each motherboard has its own unique ID that matches your license key and it's stored on MS server after activation. So even if your Win10 installation works on other machine, it will be automatically deactivated.

There probably will be no issue until you want to custom your Win10 installation.

When you mention the re-activation process, is that a case of entering the key again, or using the MS help system and entering the very long system id code?

You can visit "Settings => Activation" for details.

vonsworld

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2012
Thanks for your replies.

When you mention the re-activation process, is that a case of entering the key again, or using the MS help system and entering the very long system id code?

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for your replies.

"pretty similar" is not identical.

Even if you had success in the past, that does not mean success doing it this time.

There are two concepts with what you wish to do...Operation and Licensing.

If you take a full clone from one laptop to the other....it may well fail.

Licensing - This is going to be a pain regarding Windows.
Also, what about all the other software?

What magical stuff is on Laptop A that you can't simply also install on Laptop B?
Instead of trying to make them "identical" via cloning or imaging...just install the same applications on Laptop B.

Thanks for your replies.

Each motherboard has its own unique ID that matches your license key and it's stored on MS server after activation. So even if your Win10 installation works on other machine, it will be automatically deactivated.

There probably will be no issue until you want to custom your Win10 installation.

You can visit "Settings => Activation" for details.

Solution