Transfering Windows to SSD

abanana144p

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016
Hello,

I have just received a new dell inspiron laptop in the mail today and it is great. I also received a 250gb 850 evo m.2 SSD, and I want to move my OS to it. I have just set windows up several hours ago, and there is literally nothing on the HDD but windows, some dell bloatware, hardware ID'ing software, and programs to help me find the windows product key (it didn't come with a disk or a windows sticker.) So, to my knowledge, there are a few ways to go about this-

■ -Use a migrate tool (maybe easeus todo backup?) to move windows partition to SSD, then format data drive (HDD)
■ -Unplug HDD, have fresh SSD in, fresh install using USB drive and windows 10 iso + existing product key, then reconnect HDD and format it
■ -Configure SSD (it's in my laptop but not setup yet) and drag everything from C drive (HDD) to SSD and set SSD as boot drive (not sure if this is even remotely correct?? lol)

Which way would be the best and the easiest? I assume fresh install because it gets rid of all the bloatware and I really have nothing on the laptop but I don't know, suggestions?

Solution
the second choice is safest as then windows won't try to install to hdd. Clean install safer then trying to clone as weird things can happen in win 10 from cloning, like losing access to both drives.

before you do, run the hdd in dell and make sure win 10 is activated, then when you do fresh install, just press the I don't have a key button when asked for one and win 10 should auto activate itself. If you have any problems, contact MS and they will work it out for you.

When you replug hdd in, there is a small chance windows 10 won't boot from right drive as both would have win 10 on them and way the UEFI boot works is it looks for a file name, not a specific drive, and both have that file. If this happens, easiest way around it would...

Colif

Win 11 Master
the second choice is safest as then windows won't try to install to hdd. Clean install safer then trying to clone as weird things can happen in win 10 from cloning, like losing access to both drives.

before you do, run the hdd in dell and make sure win 10 is activated, then when you do fresh install, just press the I don't have a key button when asked for one and win 10 should auto activate itself. If you have any problems, contact MS and they will work it out for you.

When you replug hdd in, there is a small chance windows 10 won't boot from right drive as both would have win 10 on them and way the UEFI boot works is it looks for a file name, not a specific drive, and both have that file. If this happens, easiest way around it would be to unplug ssd, run the installer on the hdd and delete all the partitions, then cancel out of installer and plug ssd back in.

Solution

abanana144p

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016

Ok, thank you. I will try that tomorrow.