Transferred components to new case, now "No Signal" to monitor

Jun 26, 2018
Hello! I'm sure this question has been asked a million different times, but I am at a total loss. I recently bought a smaller computer case to accommodate my Micro-ATX (I had a much larger case before) and now I receive no signal to my monitor. All of the fans spin and the computer appears to boot, as I receive boot noises, but there is no image. There also are also not any error beeps from the motherboard speaker. I've been researching solutions for the last week, and this is what I've tried:
-Removed and reset CMOS battery.
-Plugged the monitor into the on-board MOBO graphics. Still no signal.
-Checked and tested power supply.
-Removed and tested both sticks of ram.
-Checked all cables and they are all securely in place.
-Checked motherboard mounting, and all screws and risers are in place.
-Bread boarded and rebuilt the system.
- Did the "unplug and press power button for a minute" trick.
-Tried a different monitor and cable and got same results.

This leads me to believe that it is a CPU or motherboard problem, although that seems strange because it was working minutes before I moved it to the new case. The one thing that stands out is the fact that the CPU heatsink fan does NOT spin, although it also did not spin while in the old case. I'm almost positive I had it set to spin only when the CPU got to a certain temp.
I'm totally at a loss, and any help would be much appreciated before I pull the trigger on a new MOBO or CPU. Thanks in advance!!

System Specs:
970 Strix Graphics Card
i5 Processor
MSI H81M-E33 motherboard

try boot off the pc without 970. and display cable connected to mobo. if you remove the cmos battery, and reset bios, your cpu fan should spin.

here is how to clear cmos:
JBAT1: you can clear cmos by shorting this two pins while system is off, don't do it when the system is on as it will damage the board.

Does the monitor have an input source selection option?
Some are automatic, others have a menu option.
Perhaps the input source is not where you have connected the monitor.
Can you verify that the monitor is working by plugging it in elsewhere?

Jun 26, 2018

Thanks! I'll give that a try. Could a non-working CPU fan be the culprit? I've been considering that it could just not be functioning anymore.

Most motherboards need to have a fan working at least 500 rpm in order to boot.
Since you seem to boot ok, that is perhaps not your problem.
Can you try to boot in safe mode(f8) which will not use any graphics drivers.
Or, try to boot memtest86 which does not use windows either.

Jun 26, 2018
Huh, I just reset the CMOS and still have no signal. The CPU fan is also still not spinning, so I’m guessing that is probably what’s causing the issue.