[SOLVED] Transferred the OS drive from Intel to an AMD system. System posts, but Windows doesn't load on cold boot.

aah1357

Honorable
Jun 2, 2016
Built a new system based on AMD 3950x (Asus Crosshair VIII Hero mobo). Transferred my old SSD (Samsung 850 Pro) to the new system (SATA # 1 slot). System posts on cold boot, but I have to restart the computer for Windows 10 (1903) to run (every time). Mobo code is "AA." Any thought why this is? Many Thanks.
Old System was running on ASUS Maximus VIII Formula and Intel 6600K cpu.

Solution
The next step would be to properly install Windows rather than cutting corners. Unless you have a very specific Windows to Go install, which you would know if you did (you have to choose to install such a thing and it's found mainly on Enterprise versions), Windows is not meant to be modular in this way. Windows 10 tries it best to find the drivers because Microsoft knows that people like to take the lazy way, but it frequently doesn't work at all or simply leaves vague performance issues for months.

DSzymborski

Titan
The next step would be to properly install Windows rather than cutting corners. Unless you have a very specific Windows to Go install, which you would know if you did (you have to choose to install such a thing and it's found mainly on Enterprise versions), Windows is not meant to be modular in this way. Windows 10 tries it best to find the drivers because Microsoft knows that people like to take the lazy way, but it frequently doesn't work at all or simply leaves vague performance issues for months.

Reactions: aah1357
Solution

aah1357

Honorable
Jun 2, 2016
I was afraid of your answer. Supposedly did my homework before popping the old SSD in the new system. On some threads, claims were made that the same exact thing had been done and that Windows worked flawlessly. Seemed really farfetched to me then, looks even more farfetched now. OK then ..Clean install it is.. (sooo muuch to do now)..Thank you.

USAFRet

Titan
I was afraid of your answer. Supposedly did my homework before popping the old SSD in the new system. On some threads, claims were made that the same exact thing had been done and that Windows worked flawlessly. Seemed really farfetched to me then, looks even more farfetched now. OK then ..Clean install it is.. (sooo muuch to do now)..Thank you.
When swapping parts like that, and the old drive and its OS, there are 3 possible outcomes:

1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.
I've seen all 3.

The greater the disparity in old vs new parts, the more likely #2 appears.
Anyone who says "Oh, just do it, it always works" is deluded.