Question Transferring Applications to New Laptop (with a twist)

Jun 3, 2019
Hello all,

I recently purchased a new laptop. The new laptop comes with a 128GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. The SSD is already set to be the boot drive with WIN10 installed. I want to transfer my files and applications to the 1TB HDD.

My query:
I have many applications such as: Word, Excel, PPT, Multisim, Solidworks, MATLAB, LOGIC WORKS, . . . the list goes on. I have transferred/cloned one drive to another, but only when upgrading from HDD to an (empty) SSD.
-How do I transfer all applications to the new laptops HDD without also transferring the OS? (I want to leave the OS of the old laptop intact)
-How do I alter the settings so that nothing besides the OS is placed onto the SSD. 128GB will fill up very fast if anything else is allowed to default to that drive.

Thank you in advance for your help. All help is appreciated.

You can transfer your own files very easily (pictures, documents, videos etc) using a pen drive (or an external hard drive if you already have one).

Applications cannot be transferred ---- you have to install them on your new laptop using the original installation media so that the relevant support files are copied to the Windows system folders and the necessary entries written in to the Windows Registry. That can only be done by installing the application.

Jun 3, 2019
Thanks for the response. After posting on this site I spent a couple hours doing some research and I have a good idea of what I'm going to have to do. Thanks again.