transferring bbc micro adfs/dfs 5.25" disks to pc.

transferring bbc micro adfs/dfs 5.25" disks to pc. and being able to read
them. I am familiar with using a beeb emulator but unsure of how to transfer
and read the data. instead of getting hold of a bbc micro.

is there a 5.25" disk drive available for the pc, and will it read these
types of disks.

thanks in advance

In message <XZrUd.2064$AB1.154@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net>
"David Farrow" <music4media@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> transferring bbc micro adfs/dfs 5.25" disks to pc. and being able to
> read them. I am familiar with using a beeb emulator but unsure of how
> to transfer and read the data. instead of getting hold of a bbc micro.

> is there a 5.25" disk drive available for the pc, and will it read these
> types of disks.

PCs had 5.25" drives, of increasing capacities, for several years before
3.5" drives happened (at first 720KB, later 1.44MB): no doubt they can
be bought second-hand for peanuts.

As drives they were effectively no different to those used with BBCs,
but whether the PC's floppy-disk controller and operating system can
make sense of the BBC's disk-formats is another matter.

It's many years since I moved from a BBC to a PC-ish Amstrad, and I've
forgotten why I transferred data (WP-files, etc) using a cable between
the two machines' serial ports, but it was probably 'cos the PC
couldn't, unaided, read the BBC's disks.

That's not to say that it's impossible with the right 'utility'
software: maybe someone will say yea or nay, with a pointer to
what/where if it *is* possible.

The disks, unfortunately, may not be very readable by anything after so
many years ...

--
Peter Duck <pduck@zetnet.co.uk>