Question Transferring/Copying contents of secondary HDD to SDD ?

Oct 13, 2022
I just bought a 2TB SSD during the black friday sales and a PCI card to mount it in ( as I only have 1 SDD connection on my motherboard)

I currently have a secondary 2TB HDD that I use to install the majority of my programs. I have a smaller separate SDD that boots the computer - so bootability is not an issue.

My plan is to install the new card and SDD. Then to copy/clone the HDD to the SDD. Then I would need to rename the new drive to D: (which is what my current secondary drive is) and remove the old drive.

So, is this a good plan? Any idea on how to best copy/clone the HDD. Also, If I setup the new drive as E: and then clone d: onto it and then remove d: and rename the new SSD to d: will all the paths work?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
if it is only data and programs, you can do a simple copy and paste to the new ssd. change the drive letter to d: and all should work. don't change forlder names or anything like that. just copy everything and paste it to the new drive.

i've done this multiple times before. only time you truly need to clone is when dealing with boot drives since it's more than just one partition and that structure is vital to it working.

once you verify it's all there and working, then you can do whatever to the old drive. format it to clear out the files and then use it for data storage or move it to other pc or whatever.

if for some reason the copy and paste does not do it, then i'd worry about using cloning software like macrium reflect

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2022
if it is only data and programs, you can do a simple copy and paste to the new ssd. change the drive letter to d: and all should work.

i've done this multiple times before. only time you truly need to clone is when dealing with boot drives since it's more than just one partition and that structure is vital to it working.

once you verify it's all there and working, then you can do whatever to the old drive. format it to clear out the files and then use it for data storage or move it to other pc or whatever.

if for some reason the copy and paste does not do it, then i'd worry about using cloning software like macrium reflect

Thanks!.