[SOLVED] Transferring data from an old HDD to a new SSD

Arakaari

Reputable
Aug 11, 2016
Apologies if this has been answered before, but I couldn’t find the exact answer I was looking for.

I’m building a new rig with two SSD. A 256 gig drive as a dedicated boot drive (with Windows 10 installed) and a 2tb Samsung 970evo SSD for storage.

My old pc has a rather ancient 2tb HDD in it (with Windows 7 installed) and I’d like to be able to transfer my data from my old HDD to the new SSD. is there any easy way to do this without the use of a huge USB drive or downloading from the internet? My download speed is atrocious so using Dropbox or other cloud services isn’t an option.
I’d just like to know how I could potentially go about putting some of my old files from my HDD to the new SSD. Thanks!

Solution
If both systems are running and connected to the same router, even easier.
Just set up a Shared folder on the drive in the new system.

In the old Win 7 system, you should see that share, and copy stuff directly across your network.
One question. What is the 256GB drive you're gonna use as the OS drive? The 2TB samsung 970 Evo is pretty good. I guess you have something similar for the brand and speed for the OS drive? Nvme drive?

Transferring data from your HDD to your SSD will be pretty easy. When you put that 256GB drive in your system unplug the HDD and do not put the other SSD yet. Install Windows 10 on that 256GB drive. When it's over shutdown the PC and plug the other SSD and the HDD back. Make sure to go in your BIOS to be sure the boot priority starts with the 256GB SSD and not your HDD or you will be booting back in Windows 7 and that's not what you want. When you're in Windows 10 and all your drives are detected and working fine you just have to transfer stuff from your HDD to your 2TB SSD. When you're done transferring the data if you want you can format that HDD so you do not have any windows files on it.

Reactions: Arakaari

USAFRet

Titan
Apologies if this has been answered before, but I couldn’t find the exact answer I was looking for.

I’m building a new rig with two SSD. A 256 gig drive as a dedicated boot drive (with Windows 10 installed) and a 2tb Samsung 970evo SSD for storage.

My old pc has a rather ancient 2tb HDD in it (with Windows 7 installed) and I’d like to be able to transfer my data from my old HDD to the new SSD. is there any easy way to do this without the use of a huge USB drive or downloading from the internet? My download speed is atrocious so using Dropbox or other cloud services isn’t an option.
I’d just like to know how I could potentially go about putting some of my old files from my HDD to the new SSD. Thanks!
What data, specifically, are you wanting to move to the new drive(s)?

Arakaari

Reputable
Aug 11, 2016
One question. What is the 256GB drive you're gonna use as the OS drive? The 2TB samsung 970 Evo is pretty good. I guess you have something similar for the brand and speed for the OS drive? Nvme drive?

Transferring data from your HDD to your SSD will be pretty easy. When you put that 256GB drive in your system unplug the HDD and do not put the other SSD yet. Install Windows 10 on that 256GB drive. When it's over shutdown the PC and plug the other SSD and the HDD back. Make sure to go in your BIOS to be sure the boot priority starts with the 256GB SSD and not your HDD or you will be booting back in Windows 7 and that's not what you want. When you're in Windows 10 and all your drives are detected and working fine you just have to transfer stuff from your HDD to your 2TB SSD. When you're done transferring the data if you want you can format that HDD so you do not have any windows files on it.

It’s also a 970evo, just 256, sorry forgot to mention that!

sounds fairly simple to me, thanks so much! And yeah just planning to transfer game files/music files/important work documents.

USAFRet

Titan

In the old Win 7 system, you should see that share, and copy stuff directly across your network.

Reactions: Arakaari
Solution

True. So like that you don't have to unplug anything from the old PC to put in the new one. You can do that after the files are transferred and the drive formatted. Good thinking :) Less risks like that too.

Arakaari

Reputable
Aug 11, 2016

Totally forgot About shared folders. Will definitely try that first before plugging the HDD into the new system. Thanks!