Transferring data from Hybrid to HDD?

Crackshotz

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016
So I recently got a new motherboard and I have to reinstall windows to my current Seagate hybrid drive.
I know I will need to format my hybrid so I can have a fresh install of windows 10. But I want to transfer my data over to my old HDD drive so I don't have to redownload my games and programs.
I was planning on transferring data to HDD and then when I have windows set up on my hybrid I just transfer my data back.
What worries me is if the drivers from the old motherboard are going to get carried over to my hybrid and cause any issues. Does backing up only carry over programs?
Thanks!

Solution
No idea what the 'seagate discwizard ' does. I've never used any of those...too proprietary.

For your Steam games, find the SteamApps folder.
Copy that whole thing off to another drive.After you do the OS reinstall, and have installed your applications (esp the Steam client), simply copy it back.
No redownloading the whole set of games again.

So...
Have all of your personal docs and files saved and offline
Document all of your username/password/serial numbers
Download and save to USB all of the drivers for your hardware
Have only the one drive connected when you do the install.

USAFRet

Titan

" just transfer my data back."

You have to be specific on what you mean by "data", and how you plan to 'transfer' this stuff.

Applications - No
Personal files (Doc/Music/Video) - Yes
Steam games - Probably
Steam client - No.

Crackshotz

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016

Well im basically backing up my hard drive using the seagate discwizard that my hybrid hard drive came with and backing it onto my old HDD. I assume this just clones my drive? But you gave me a good idea on what is transferable. I have all my personal files on USB. I have also saves for my games on there too but I figured the actual games might not be savable especially coming from Steam. Its just a pain to have to redownload big games like battlefield 1.
I should still back up my current drive into my HDD in case anything goes bad.
Thanks by the way!

USAFRet

Titan
No idea what the 'seagate discwizard ' does. I've never used any of those...too proprietary.

For your Steam games, find the SteamApps folder.
Copy that whole thing off to another drive.After you do the OS reinstall, and have installed your applications (esp the Steam client), simply copy it back.
No redownloading the whole set of games again.

So...
Have all of your personal docs and files saved and offline
Document all of your username/password/serial numbers
Download and save to USB all of the drivers for your hardware
Have only the one drive connected when you do the install.

Solution