Transferring data from my MAC to an external hard drive

Eugene51

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
I'm transferring videos from my Mac to an external hard drive using 2 usbs. Would a firewire be faster?

Also, does it make any difference if we queue up several video files at once rather than to complete one transfer before doing the next one?

What does the speed of the transfer depend on? The OS, the external hard drive, or both? I have a MAC OS X with a 2 GHz Intel Core Duo processor and a 500 GB portable Signature external hard drive.

Is there a portable hard drive (without using ac power) that is 1 TB or more?

Solution
I don't know Mac's, but presumably they have SATA connections so using an eSATA drive would be the fastest. It will be the same speed as your internal drive.
If you don't have an eSATA port on the back of your computer, check if the drive comes with an adaptor plate, or if you can buy one at the same time.

Jonmor68

Distinguished
I don't know Mac's, but presumably they have SATA connections so using an eSATA drive would be the fastest. It will be the same speed as your internal drive.
If you don't have an eSATA port on the back of your computer, check if the drive comes with an adaptor plate, or if you can buy one at the same time.

Solution