Transferring data from old PC to new one

Status
Not open for further replies.

czechmonster

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016
What is the best route to transfer data (or use my current HDD) on a new build? My old mobo got fried due a a surge in a thunderstorm and I don't have a comfort of backing up or transferring with a cable. I do care for software, mainly emails, pictures and documents.Can I make new PC look the way the old one did?

Solution

Depends on what you mean by 'data'.
Just doc/pics/etc? Just connect that old drive as a secondary, and copy things over.
Yes, IF you use the EXACT same hardware, you can swap hard drives.

If any part of your PC is different, you will need to do data transfer.

Transferring data from one drive to another isn't dangerous; even if the transfer fails - it doesn't impact the original drive in any way...

czechmonster

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016

Any particular software to use? It will not be same build since the CPU/MoBo are no longer available.

USAFRet

Titan

Depends on what you mean by 'data'.
Just doc/pics/etc? Just connect that old drive as a secondary, and copy things over.

Solution

ChaoticWolf

Honorable
Just grab the hard drive from the old computer, put it in your new build, connect the power cable and the sata cable and windows should recognize it. Grab any files you need off of it and put it onto your new build

Also, be sure to purchase a good surge protector instead of using a regular power strip or wall outlet, so that if there is another thunderstorm in your area and it hits your power lines, the protector will be the one that takes the hits and the damage and all your stuff will be protected, and switch off the psu on your new build everytime the machine is off

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS