[SOLVED] Transferring Data Remotely ... Speed Limitation?

Witterings

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2016
If I want to transfer data between computer A to B which are both Gig capable and both attached to the same gigabit switch but am using computer Z that has a 10/100 network card in it ..... will my transfer be directly from A to B at the gigabit capable speed or will it transfer from A to Z to B at the slower 10/100 limitation.

Solution
Only if you do the copy and paste from one of the machines that has a gigabit connection. If you were to mount a share from machine A and machine B on your machine Z and then do the copy and past on machine Z the traffic would pass through machine Z and be limited by the 100mbps connection. You have to remember copy and paste is actually a program running on a cpu. The data must pass through that cpu and as a side effect must also pass through the machines network connection. You must careful think about how the data really is flowing.
It depends how you do it but if you some form of remote desktop to log into your computer A and tell it to transfer data to computer B it will run at gigabit speeds. More or less it is as though you typed the command in at the keyboard. If you use some other software running on computer Z to do the copy then it would transfer to that computer first.

Only if you do the copy and paste from one of the machines that has a gigabit connection. If you were to mount a share from machine A and machine B on your machine Z and then do the copy and past on machine Z the traffic would pass through machine Z and be limited by the 100mbps connection. You have to remember copy and paste is actually a program running on a cpu. The data must pass through that cpu and as a side effect must also pass through the machines network connection. You must careful think about how the data really is flowing.

Solution

Witterings

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2016
If you were to mount a share from machine A and machine B on your machine Z and then do the copy and past on machine Z the traffic would pass through machine Z and be limited by the 100mbps connection.

One of the machines I thought was 10/100 I've I've subsequently found out does have a gig speed but I am doing this "In Effect" a lot of the time as the most conveniently situated machine is my laptop (Z) which only has a WiFi connection and no LAN port and is why my transfer speeds commanded from the laptop are quite a bit slower compared to when they're "commanded" from one of the hard wired machines.

Thanks again!!!

Is very simple, the total effective speed dictated by the lowest denominator, 100 mbit.

Nobody commands nothing. network speed is solely dictated by the infrastructure's capability. Is like you have a Ferrari but if the road leading to your friend is a single lane, you aren't going to move very fast, reeve all u want.

Witterings

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2016
Is very simple, the total effective speed dictated by the lowest denominator, 100 mbit.

Nobody commands nothing. network speed is solely dictated by the infrastructure's capability. Is like you have a Ferrari but if the road leading to your friend is a single lane, you aren't going to move very fast, reeve all u want.

Yes I get that, what I wasn't sure was if you were using the machine referred to as Z to initiate the copy and paste if it just instructed A to copy directly to B taking the fast lane in the motorway on a direct route from one to the other or if it made the data detour via Z taking the country lanes with crossing sheep on the way.

If you have more than one route to a destination, typically home equipment are not smart enough to select the faster route, in fact multiple routes may confuse a Windows box, assume that's what you are using.

Having multiple routes means you will have disparate subnets. For example if you Windows box has both Ethernet and WIFI enable, both NICs cannot be on the same subnet. A typically home network would not have the necessary equipment to route traffic from one subnet to the other.