Transferring data to new computer.......options?????

DoggerCW

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
I have read quite a few posts on this subject now and can't seem to find the answer I am looking for. I currently have a Dell Dimension 8200 with an 80G IDE ATA hard drive in it, my new computer will be an Dell XPS 410 with SATA hard drive. (NOTE:I am not sure what any of this SATA, ATA, IDE stuff really means so if my terms and usage of terms makes me sound ignorant, it's because I am.)

I would like to possibly do a couple things but haven't decided on exactly what to do yet. I may want to keep this computer as a back up to my new one, in which case I may want them both hooked up to my new monitor. Is this possible?? And if so, what's the best way to go about it? I have a router if need be that I can use or would it be better to link them together via Ethernet cable?? Is this also possible?

I may just throw the old computer in the corner and wait until I absolutely need it in the event my new computer breaks down on me. So if I go this route, can I put the old hard drive in my new computer to get the info off of it??? Will I require extra cables?? If I decide to use one of the external cases for hard drives, do they basically work with any hard drive or do you need to find one specifically for your type of hard drive???

I have read of numerous ways to get the old data off of your old computer I am just not sure which way to go. If I go the way of the router and create a sharing folder to get the info transferred I will have 2 comps on this desk which is starting to sound like a major pain in the keister. Plus all the cables etc. The hard drive case sounds like the best way to go if it will work cause then I can just slap it back in my old comp if my new one has some sort of failure. Anyway I would appreciate any input you guys could give me. I will list some comp specs for both my comps.

OLD COMP:
Dell Dimension 8200
Pentium 4 (1.99 ghz)
768 megs cruddy, super expensive RAM
80 Gig IDE ATA hard drive
19" CRT Trinitron Monitor
Radeon X800GT Video card
Old wooden cane, cause it doesn't get around like it used to.

NEW COMP:
Dell XPS 410
Core 2 Duo Processor E6600 2.4GHz
2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
EVGA GeForce 7950 GT KO
24 in (24.0 in viewable) 2407FPW Wide Aspect Digital Flat Panel Display
250GB SATA II Hard Drive (7200RPM)
48X Combo and 16X DVD+/-RW

runswindows95

Distinguished
Depends on how the Dell XPS is setup. IF it's like the HP model I just looked inside of, it may not have an IDE connection at all(ironically, it had a floppy connection). IF it does, you can remove an optical drive (if you get two of them), add the old HDD onto the IDE cable and access it that way. I've done this many of times to transfer the data. Just make sure you set the jumper correctly, as in set it to what the optical drive was at. If no second optical, set it to slave considering the first should be the master.

DoggerCW

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
What's your opinion on the ethernet option? Just connect the computers together? Which comp will come up as the main one? Or would I have to set it up in Network Neighborhood or something? I don't have the new comp yet, should be here next Wednesday but I would like to have a game play first. I have been staring at my new 7950 GT KO for the last couple days and it is driving me crazy that I don't have computer to put it into yet. NewEgg sure is better at getting products to their customers than Dell is, that's for sure.

Here's another question, can I have both of these computers and just use the new one for gaming and the older one for my internet stuff? If so, would the router be the way to go or would can you ethernet 2 comps together?