Transferring Data to New Raid 0

_JakeDavies

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015
Hi,

I am in the process of upgrading my system and the last thing, which is the one I am not looking forward to, is storage. I current have a 128GB SSD for my OS and a 2TB HDD for my games, music etc.
The SSD appears as my C Drive and my HDD appears as my D Drive. I am swapping the SSD for a Samsung SM961 once it's released and my HDD for 2 x 1TB Samsung 850 Evo's in Raid 0. If I setup the raid and copy my D drive to the SSD's. Can I then take out the HDD, turn back on my PC use the Raid setup as my D drive so I don't need to reinstall games?

Another question is, is there a way of transferring my C drive to the U.2 drive and then booting from the U.2 or should I just do a clean windows install?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Hey there, Jake

Cloning from a single drive to a RAID 0 configuration shouldn't be that more different from cloning a single drive to another. The important thing is that the program which is used "sees" the RAID 0 configuration as a single drive (as it should). Unfortunately as an official WD representative I can't recommend specific products, which are not under the WD brand and this includes cloning software as well.

However, with the new OS some of the games might need to be reinstalled. You should also backup the Save Game files from the User Folder on your C: drive as some games create folders there and after a fresh install those files will be gone.

You might also want to check this out if you're talking about Steam games...

_JakeDavies

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015
Not just for games mate. I do solidworks modelling, photoshop and sony vegas editing all from my secondary drive due to the dump files created than file up OS storage. Also I do play lot's of single player games so the quicker boot times are better for me. Just Cause 3 takes a decade to load but on 2 SSD's it will be quick! As previously stated it's not just for gaming and I didn't ask for input on my build. Just for the question asked thanks

USAFRet

Titan

Well, mate...
I was just making you aware of the general thought fallacy of SSD + RAID 0.
It doesn't scale up like HDD + RAID 0.

Have fun.

_JakeDavies

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015
I didn't mean to sound ignorant or anything but I already read that article in the past before buying the 2 SSD's. I understand the scaling isn't great for gaming but for 3D modelling and other tasks there are some benefits, plus I am in a good position at work as to where I can afford these parts so bragging rights also comes into play.

Hey there, Jake

Cloning from a single drive to a RAID 0 configuration shouldn't be that more different from cloning a single drive to another. The important thing is that the program which is used "sees" the RAID 0 configuration as a single drive (as it should). Unfortunately as an official WD representative I can't recommend specific products, which are not under the WD brand and this includes cloning software as well.

However, with the new OS some of the games might need to be reinstalled. You should also backup the Save Game files from the User Folder on your C: drive as some games create folders there and after a fresh install those files will be gone.

You might also want to check this out if you're talking about Steam games: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129. I think Origin and Battle.net along with other platforms have ways to move their games as well.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

Solution

TRENDING THREADS