[SOLVED] Transferring data to SSD from former Hdd boot device?

diegohm

Reputable
Apr 26, 2018
Hello,
So I just finished my first build and got an SSD to install Win10 on it. Now I was wondering how I could transfer most of my data from my HDD that still has windows 10 installed to my SSD? I was thinking about simply unplugging the HDD and then installing Win10 on my SSD and once it's finished I would reconnect the HDD and simply move game files from the HDD to the SSD and keep the HDD as mass storage.
I'm not too sure if my approach will work. Would having windows 10 installed on both drives cause issues. Any suggestions?

Solution
If a desktop, you could install Macrium Reflect, and the new SSD, then clone the entire installation over to the SSD.

You don't simply 'move games' from one drive to another. (In short, a plan to simply drag a folder over is somewhat doomed.)

If newly installing WIndows to the SSD, the games would need to be newly installed so that Windows knows that they are installed, and where they are located.
If a desktop, you could install Macrium Reflect, and the new SSD, then clone the entire installation over to the SSD.

You don't simply 'move games' from one drive to another. (In short, a plan to simply drag a folder over is somewhat doomed.)

If newly installing WIndows to the SSD, the games would need to be newly installed so that Windows knows that they are installed, and where they are located.

Solution