Transferring files between 2 files

Tchaikovsky

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
Hi, i have an Asus tower PC with 2 different hard drives. One is Windows ( C: ) and the other is Data ( D: ). my windows hard drive has a capacity of 150 GB and my data hard drive has a capacity of 763 GB. However, my windows hard drive is full and i cant do simple things like Backing up my iPhone, or downloading things. Is there a way to either re direct the downloads to the data drive, or transfer the windows drive's files to the data drive. Thanks

Solution
To move files to the second drive you can simply use Windows Explorer to copy the files from the C volume to the D volume, and then delete them from C.

A more permanent solution is to do exactly as you described, redirect folders to the D drive. Right click the folder to redirect, select properties, and then select the location tab, locate the new location on the D drive, and when applying you will be prompted to move files from the current location to the new location. Only certain folders can be redirected, such as Documents, Pictures, Desktop, Videos, Downloads, etc. For more information on folder redirection, including the configuration options available from Group Policy and the list of redirectable folders, see the...

WinOutreach2

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
To move files to the second drive you can simply use Windows Explorer to copy the files from the C volume to the D volume, and then delete them from C.

A more permanent solution is to do exactly as you described, redirect folders to the D drive. Right click the folder to redirect, select properties, and then select the location tab, locate the new location on the D drive, and when applying you will be prompted to move files from the current location to the new location. Only certain folders can be redirected, such as Documents, Pictures, Desktop, Videos, Downloads, etc. For more information on folder redirection, including the configuration options available from Group Policy and the list of redirectable folders, see the Folder Redirection Overview on TechNet.

Solution

WinOutreach2

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
Most modern browsers download by default to the Downloads folder variable. As such, if you redirect the Downloads folder to D:/Downloads, Internet Explorer, as well as Firefox and Chrome, by default, will download to the new location at D:/Downloads.

Otherwise, if the default download location has been altered, it would need to be changed as USAFRet said.