Question Transferring files from a hard drive with a 1042 error

Psyblade

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2015
I have a 6-year old 8500 Dell XPS. I am getting the 0142 error from the hard drive, although the desktop PC started working again and has been fine for a few days now. Given this error, and the age of the PC, I want to buy a new desktop. Once I do that, my question is, can I just copy files and programs off the old, bad hard drive to the new hard drive, or might that also copy the problem from the old disk to the new disk?

First and foremost , you must backup your files ASAP, the drive given that error could stop working at any time.
That error could be cause by a bad or loose SATA cable, but if it is coming from a failing drive it could die at any given second.
If I were you, I would stop using it until I could backup my files.

You will be able to copy files and documents to your new system, but you won't be able to copy programs. In Windows programs must be installed, since program files and settings are scatter all over.

Psyblade

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2015
Thanks much. I have everything backed up on two external drives, so that should not be a problem. I have been having problems with my mouse and keyboard freezing up for over a year now. Happens every 5-14 days and I have to hard power down, then power back up and it works fine. Recently, I loaded an umpdated version of malwarebytes and that is where everything froze up and after I figured out how to run the diagnostics, I got the 1042 error (multiple times). Anyway, it sounds like my files will be OK by just using the external drives to copy them. Any programs, Acrobat reader, Turbotax, Day of Defeat, Itunes, Fitbit, Speccy, HP printers, etc, I will just have to reload and start over. Correct?