[SOLVED] Transferring Files & Programs to a New Window 10 Laptop

Jan 20, 2020
I finally ordered my new laptop. Thanks for all the great suggestions!
My question is when it arrives tomorrow what is the best way to transfer all my data and programs from my current (very old) windows 10 laptop to my new one?
I have seen programs like PC Mover Professional or recommending cloning? the hard drive. I your experiences what is the best method.

Thanks so much!

Solution
My question is when it arrives tomorrow what is the best way to transfer all my data and programs from my current (very old) windows 10 laptop to my new one?
I have seen programs like PC Mover Professional or recommending cloning? the hard drive. I your experiences what is the best method.

Thanks so much!
Your personal data is easy.
Your 'programs' are impossible.

Copy your personal files (Doc/Music/Video/etc) to one or more USB flash drives.
Download and Install whatever applications you use onto the new laptop. Not clone, not copy, not "PC Mover". Actual installs, just like you did it when the old laptop was new.

Later, connect that flash drive...

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Don't clone. Your new laptop will have it's own OS/license.

I honestly just suggest the use of USB and or external drives and physically (personally) move the items you want. It's a bit time consuming, but as I recall Windows did away with the file and settings transfer tool.

USAFRet

Titan

Thanks so much!
Your personal data is easy.
Your 'programs' are impossible.

Copy your personal files (Doc/Music/Video/etc) to one or more USB flash drives.
Download and Install whatever applications you use onto the new laptop. Not clone, not copy, not "PC Mover". Actual installs, just like you did it when the old laptop was new.

Later, connect that flash drive and copy your personal files to the new system.

Reactions: punkncat
Solution