Transferring Files to other hard drive

Varcx

Prominent
Aug 8, 2017
I have a 256GB SSD, and a 2TB hard drive. My SSD has windows, my profile and other folders it came with. I want windows and all the fliles on the hard drive. Can I just highlight it, and put it in the hard drive?

(Specs)

GTX 1060 6GB DDR5

i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.8 GHZ

16GB RAM

2TB Hard Drive

256GB SSD

64 Bit

Solution

No, it doesn't work like that.
Yes, you could clone the entirety of the OS and everything else on the SSD to the HDD. (not simply copy/paste).

But why would you?
I'm guessing that your 256GB SSD is getting near full, and you want to move it all to the much slower, but much larger, HDD.

If that is the case, there are MUCH better ways of managing that space.

Let us know 'why', and we can suggest a way forward, or a better solution.
Well you can clone the contents of your SSD to your 2 TB HDD and that will place the OS on your SSD and all the other data on the SSD to the HDD. Many users perform that type of backup strategy in order to comprehensively back up their SSD boot drive. But I take it for some reason you wish to utilize the 2 TB HDD as your new boot drive. Or do you have some other objective?

USAFRet

Titan

No, it doesn't work like that.
Yes, you could clone the entirety of the OS and everything else on the SSD to the HDD. (not simply copy/paste).

But why would you?
I'm guessing that your 256GB SSD is getting near full, and you want to move it all to the much slower, but much larger, HDD.

If that is the case, there are MUCH better ways of managing that space.

Let us know 'why', and we can suggest a way forward, or a better solution.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS