Transferring from a boot issue hard drive

lookout48469

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018
Hello,
My hard drive was fine a couple days ago and then it stopped booting windows. I tried Startup repair, system restore, it dont boot in safe mode, also tried error checking the drive once i got a new drive and started windows and accessed the drive. Yes i can view the hard drive under my computer off the new hard drive/fresh windows install. I can transfer files that way but that doesnt do what i want. I wish to make the new hard drive a copy of the old so all my settings, programs, ect are the same. Is there a easy way to do this?

So i think there may be with some clone program,but would i need a third hard drive? One that im not currently running windows on when doing the cloning?

Or maybe someone knows a better program to fix windows start-up? I could attempt to repair the drive instead of cloning.

I have no idea what the blue screen error is the restart happens too fast. I tried to research how i could see this message but the answer i settled on was i needed to have windows running on the hard drive i cant boot so i could access advanced system settings > startup and repair>and uncheck the automatic restart option. There was no information about how i could turn this off another way. Like open the target file in notepad and change values,like system restart automatically= 1 and change it to a 0 or something easy a programming noob could do and understand.

Looking for help and suggestions please and thanks.

lookout48469

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018
Yes sort of correct. I dont know about failing badly, but wont boot. Its Windows 7 ultimate x64. I just read about going into advanced boot options f8 on start up and disable restart on failure from there. Im going to try to find that and see what the error is. Im stuck waiting for a hour while im copying the files off it. Like i suspected just right clicking copy on the bad drive and pasting into the new drive is only copying 95GB when it says the total used on the drive is 227GB . Less than have? Would read-only properties effect this?

USAFRet

Titan

Right click and copy from the old drive to the new drive is NOT how you get things to boot in a different drive.
That will never ever work.

lookout48469

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018
No i understand that its at least copying some data over, pictures, movies, personal files should all be transfered over no problems unless theres corruption in those areas on the disk. I didnt have alot on the disk lucky me i actually recently took over a TB off the drive. Im worried about programs i can no longer download or remember credentials to get access to, or other things i cant remember.
I have had this computer with this hard drive for many years now.5+.

USAFRet

Titan

Unfortunately, it sounds like it is too late for this drive, and the data on it.
And you can't copy programs like you can regular files.

lookout48469

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018
Back at it again today. So I was able to use my phone to record video of the blue screen. After playing with it for a while I got the video to stop on the blue screen where I could read it. It said a problem has been detected with Windows and has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps colon check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly-installed. It doesn't finish the sentence and restarts.

Startup repair and Diagnostics and repair log, last successful boot to 6:18 number of repair attempts 6. If I understand correctly it looks like it runs 10 test can't determine the problem runs again 10 test can't determine does a system restore reruns the 10 test and still can't determine the problem and that's the end of the repair session. I'm able to open up a command prompt from one of the options under repair but I don't know enough about. DOS prompt to navigate the hard drive find the Razer Mouse drivers I recently downloaded and installed and delete them.

The guy above thinks the drive is shot,but i dont think thats the case. I think maybe i had windows updates to install and when the razer driver restarted to install the windows installed and create a conflict? I dont think its the drive because i downloaded over 150gb off it last night over 5.5hrs with no issues, it just wont start.

Pro question. Would using the command prompt to delete and get a known good copy of (whats the words im looking for?) System config? Or whatever files deal with loading drivers and programs. Can i roll that back to a (just after install state) and see if it boots?

lookout48469

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018
Solved , needed to change bios settings from ide to ahci mode and booted like normal,but very slow to do anything. Tried a bunch of things to speed up but did not work so got a list of all programs, passwords ect , and fresh install os on new drive now SSD and reinstall everything