Transferring hard drive from acer with a dead board to a new system

shanerator

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
The computer is a Acer Aspire running 64 bit vista home with a 2.2ghz intel core 2 duo. and i am going to upgrade to a AMD Phenom II X4 and a new mboard and ram . Will my old hard drive boot into Vista or will I run into problems?

Solution
chances are you have a problem .

The acer supplied windows is probably going to be unhappy as an unhappy thing on the unhappiest day of the year when you swap mb's .... and to make matters worse you wont be able to use the disc to reinstall on the new hardware .

But you should try it and see , and if it doesnt work buy win 7 and another hard drive . Install that on the new system and then plug in the hard drive from the acer and transfer all your data

then once its all saved format that drive , or keep it as is as a back up
chances are you have a problem .

The acer supplied windows is probably going to be unhappy as an unhappy thing on the unhappiest day of the year when you swap mb's .... and to make matters worse you wont be able to use the disc to reinstall on the new hardware .

But you should try it and see , and if it doesnt work buy win 7 and another hard drive . Install that on the new system and then plug in the hard drive from the acer and transfer all your data

then once its all saved format that drive , or keep it as is as a back up

Solution

shanerator

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009

Thx Outlander, I'm probably going to do that. One more question- I am getting a board with no onboard graphics, when i plug in my card- GTS 250 will it automatically use this without the card specific software loaded? Or should I get a board with integrated graphics just to be safe? My thing is that I really want to run this system with SLI and I decided to go with a Intel Core i5-750 CPU, and it seems to be the only mboards compatible are ones with no graphics.

Whaddya think..?