Transferring HDD to new PC

Kristofer_2

Honorable
Dec 31, 2015
I am building a new system soon (new CPU, MOBO, PSU, GPU, RAM, Tower, everything. But my current PC's HDD is only like 2 months old, so I want to just use that in the new build. It already has Windows 10 Home 64-bit (full version, not OEM.) Will I have any problems getting the HDD to work on a new system? Plus I'll be able to carry over all of my save-games, and installation files. So a bunch of pros to using that HDD, but will I have any problems?

Solution
It's quite possible - even likely - that you could install the HDD from your previous system in your new system and it will be a bootable, completely functional drive. Should that be so, as long as you could activate the system (which you should be able to do since you have the full version of Win 10 and NOT an OEM version), there would be no need to undertake a fresh-install of the OS onto the new system.

I'm assuming that your old PC is NOT an OEM system and both the old & new PCs are Intel-based systems.

You may be pleasantly surprised that the new system will pick up the necessary drivers for the system without user intervention. Of course should other drivers be needed for your new system you will install them from your...

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
Installing the HDD will be no problem but you can't carry over Windows. First off, the motherboard drivers will be from the old system. Secondly, if it did boot up, Windows will no longer be activated because it would have detected a different system.

All you need to do is reinstall Windows but you didn't give enough info on your version of Windows. Some versions allow you to move to a completely different system while most others won't allow it.

As for your files carrying over... it would be easier to just get another drive and end up with two drives (which is better, anyway)... instead of trying to mess around and go the cheap route with one single drive...but if you insist, just partition that drive and move all your files/folder you're trying to keep/carry over... onto the new partition... then once your system is completed and activated.. move those important files/folders back over so you could delete the partition and expand the C drive partition to cover the entire drive again.

Kristofer_2

Honorable
Dec 31, 2015

I'm fine with losing my files, that's not a big deal. I have no problem re-downloading my games, and starting over my save-games, or I can just use a thumb drive for the save-games. You said I didn't give enough info about my OS, yet the info I gave you is all I can do. It's Windows 10 Home 64-bit full version. Bought directly from the Microsoft store, on a USB drive for installation...

Kristofer_2

Honorable
Dec 31, 2015

The terms of service says I can transfer the OS. What do I have to do to the HDD, to prepare it for the move?

It's quite possible - even likely - that you could install the HDD from your previous system in your new system and it will be a bootable, completely functional drive. Should that be so, as long as you could activate the system (which you should be able to do since you have the full version of Win 10 and NOT an OEM version), there would be no need to undertake a fresh-install of the OS onto the new system.

I'm assuming that your old PC is NOT an OEM system and both the old & new PCs are Intel-based systems.

You may be pleasantly surprised that the new system will pick up the necessary drivers for the system without user intervention. Of course should other drivers be needed for your new system you will install them from your motherboard's installation CD.

Now understand that there are no guarantees that the transfer of the HDD will proceed without any problems or will ultimately result in a bootable, functional system for your new PC. But it's worth a try based upon our experience with performing such transfers involving many PC systems.

HOWEVER, WE ALWAYS - REPEAT, ALWAYS - FIRST CLONE THE DRIVE TO BE TRANSFERRED BEFORE UNDERTAKING THE TRANSFER OPERATION. SO THAT IF THE TRANSFER FAILS OR THINGS GO AWRY YOU HAVE THE WHEREWITHAL TO EASILY RECOVER YOUR OLD SYSTEM (SHOULD THAT BE YOUR DESIRE), AND/OR ENSURE THAT ALL DATA ON THE DISK IS SUBSEQUENTLY AVAILABLE TO YOU.

Capiche?

Solution

SBMfromLA

Distinguished

Nothing really.. Just install normally. I would highly recommend you do NOT try to install into a different system and hope the for best, even it it does work. That's a sloppy way of doing things and you're bound to have issues later on.. trust me on that..

All I can tell you is that over the years we've probably transferred scores of systems involving different OSs to another PC along the lines I've outlined. I'm hard-pressed to think of any instance where problems arose with the new system down-the-line as a consequence of the transfer. Needless to say this assumes that the transferred system was a completely functional, viable, malware-free system to begin with. It's no secret that if you transfer garbage, garbage is what you'll get.