Transferring IP from modem to PC

Ayush_Wesker

Honorable
Aug 26, 2015
My LAN is connected to modem device but it is causing problems like getting limited now and then. But if i connect my LAN port to PC directly it is not getting connected. I know that i need to transfer ip addresses to pc but I dont know how to do. Please help me. Also tell the steps to transfer it back to modem when i connect my LAN port to it.

Solution
The IP address of a device can be set one of 2 ways; manually or automatically. When you set the address manually (also referred to as static) you simply go into the adapter properties and type in an address. If the address you enter is valid for your setup it will work. If not, then it won't. The alternative is the address is set automatically via DHCP (dynamic host configuration protocol). For DHCP to work you need a client (your device) that asks for an address and a server (your modem or router or ??) that gives out a valid address.

Often when you have a true modem (a device that translates one protocol to another) you will have a single input (telephone, fiber, coax or other) and a single output (Ethernet). Devices like this...
The IP address of a device can be set one of 2 ways; manually or automatically. When you set the address manually (also referred to as static) you simply go into the adapter properties and type in an address. If the address you enter is valid for your setup it will work. If not, then it won't. The alternative is the address is set automatically via DHCP (dynamic host configuration protocol). For DHCP to work you need a client (your device) that asks for an address and a server (your modem or router or ??) that gives out a valid address.

Often when you have a true modem (a device that translates one protocol to another) you will have a single input (telephone, fiber, coax or other) and a single output (Ethernet). Devices like this have only 1 IP address and thus can only support one device (computer, phone, tablet, etc). If you want to use multiple devices, then you will need a device that will translate the single address to multiple (NAT). These are often called residential routers or gateways.

The way you describe your network is a bit confusing. Please describe all the hardware you are using and what device this LAN port is on. Model numbers of your devices would help. Thx.

Solution
The modem just passes the signal. the configuration is on the isp side and your side.
It's very common now for ISP to provide the IP to you via DHCP.
If your router WAN interface and PC network are both set up for DHCP then you can just unplug it and plug it in.

If you have to manually add the ip and gateway on your pc then go back to DHCP when not using the modem.

the router shouldn't be slowing you down if there are no other clients on it. You also want to be behind the NAT for security reasons.