[SOLVED] transferring m.2 to nvmme

computerwiz1101

Distinguished
May 12, 2013
so i have a old m.2 ssd..soi bought acorsair 980 pro...problem is i have no clur how to transfer the data OS and whatnot from the old m.2 to the new 980..my mobo had 2 m.2 slots..ideas?>

Solution
Best way to do that..I'm would like to move to win 11..
Do NOT think about moving to Win 11 yet.
It is not finished.
Release is scheduled for Oct 5, for upgrades only. Actual install release sometime early 2022.

USAFRet

Titan
so i have a old m.2 ssd..soi bought acorsair 980 pro...problem is i have no clur how to transfer the data OS and whatnot from the old m.2 to the new 980..my mobo had 2 m.2 slots..ideas?>
A "980 Pro" is not a Corsair. It is a Samsung.

What is the old drive, make/model.
What motherboard are you using?
What capacity is the new 980 Pro?
How much space is consumed on your current drive?

computerwiz1101

Distinguished
May 12, 2013
sorry about the wrong nameing,..;l the drive is a few years old it's a 220 evo, right now i'm using STRIX Z270E GAMING (LGA1151) for a motherbard..the 980 pro is a 250 GB.my current drive is3/4 full..but i ave ALOT i can del..250 may sound not.but it' prefect for me

USAFRet

Titan
sorry about the wrong nameing,..;l the drive is a few years old it's a 220 evo, right now i'm using STRIX Z270E GAMING (LGA1151) for a motherbard..the 980 pro is a 250 GB.my current drive is3/4 full..but i ave ALOT i can del..250 may sound not.but it' prefect for me
What is a "220 EVO"?

How much space is consumed on it?

A 980 Pro is wasted on that motherboard.
The M.2 port is PCIe 3.0. That drive is PCIe 4.0
Extra money, for zero benefit.

USAFRet

Titan
Best way to do that..I'm would like to move to win 11..
Do NOT think about moving to Win 11 yet.
It is not finished.
Release is scheduled for Oct 5, for upgrades only. Actual install release sometime early 2022.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
so can i just get a usb mdia for win 10 apply tht to the new drive?...sorry i ask so much
That is covered in my previous reply.

Read through that a couple of times to get familiar with the process.

Your question about:
"so can't just put both drives in ,load win 10 then reset and redo a clean copy of win 10 but point it taward the faster nvme? "

no...that will not work.

USAFRet

Titan

USAFRet

Titan
so not caring about data..can i put the new drive in and run a windows media botable in...
Read this.
If, after you've read it through twice, you have any specific questions....ask.

Do what it says.

computerwiz1101

Distinguished
May 12, 2013
so i got the old computer running...only to find out the account was already joined tro that acount....alsoBefore you begin the installation, whether now or after you create your installation media, it is of utmost importance that you disconnect ALL system attached storage drives EXCEPT for the target drive. This is important because we've seen instances where the system has decided to install one or more of the created partitions including the boot, EFI or recovery partitions on secondary drives making it impossible to boot (Or recover) Windows if that secondary drive is removed. ...so i have 2 drives m.2,hdd. i woud just leave the m.2 out and only have the HDD hooked in? then rub the sintall media?

USAFRet

Titan
so i got the old computer running...only to find out the account was already joined tro that acount....alsoBefore you begin the installation, whether now or after you create your installation media, it is of utmost importance that you disconnect ALL system attached storage drives EXCEPT for the target drive. This is important because we've seen instances where the system has decided to install one or more of the created partitions including the boot, EFI or recovery partitions on secondary drives making it impossible to boot (Or recover) Windows if that secondary drive is removed. ...so i have 2 drives m.2,hdd. i woud just leave the m.2 out and only have the HDD hooked in? then rub the sintall media?
Whichever drive you want the OS to be on....that is the ONLY drive you have physically connected.

All others, disconnect.

What drive do you want the OS to be on?
Preferably an SSD?

TRENDING THREADS