[SOLVED] Transferring my data and operating system after a motherboard swap??? Help?

May 15, 2022
Hey there.
I'm in stages of swapping out my motherboard too a new one and keeping all my other components relatively the same, in saying that I also want to transfer my operating system too a newer ssd and after the motherboard swap im not too sure how to go about that? Like is it as easy as swapping my mobo and booting it up the way I've had it or do I have to prep my drives somehow so that they work after the mobo swap?

So ill be swapping out an Asus H10M-K motherboard for an Asus Prime Z370-A motherboard. In saying that I want to keep all my data from all my drives that im already running including the operating system drive. In saying that I have bought a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb that im planning to transfer or clone my operating system with and have that as the operating drive then.

I just want to know how I should go about it? Like would it be smarter for me too clone my previous ssd with my operating system too my new 970 evo plus and then swap my motherboard after that? Or would it be easier to swap my motherboard and then transfer all my drives before I look to transferring my operating system over too my new ssd?

Solution
Unless you are replacing with an identical motherboard, the best course of action is a full OS reinstall.
Yes, that sux. But trying to just plant this drive+OS in the new system often/usually brings tears.
And a clone is no different.

Trying to do this has 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.
I've personally seen all 3.

USAFRet

Titan
Unless you are replacing with an identical motherboard, the best course of action is a full OS reinstall.
Yes, that sux. But trying to just plant this drive+OS in the new system often/usually brings tears.

1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely

Reactions: Grobe
Solution
May 15, 2022

1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely

Thanks for your reply. I'll do a fresh install then. In saying that after I do a fresh install could I use a backup from my old os too restore everything I can through the backup too the new os? Thanks again.

after I do a fresh install could I use a backup from my old os too restore everything I can through the backup too the new os?
No - you can not restore old OS on new pc. Well - you can try, but expect a lot of problems with this. So better to do everything properly.
You install fresh OS on new pc.
Copy user data from old drive to new drive - manually. Just user data - docs, music, videos, save games.
Also you can copy game libraries.
Everything else will need to be re-downloaded and re-installed.

after I do a fresh install could I use a backup from my old os too restore everything I can through the backup too the new os? Thanks again.

"Everything" means what?

"backup from my old os" means what exactly? An image file? A hard drive C partition? Something else?

Your installed programs? No.

Your old email from 1996; your browser bookmarks; your mp3s; your uninstalled programs; your cat pictures? All of that and anything else should be restorable if you can find it and if it is simply sitting on the old hard drive in original form. Most of it by a simple drag and drop to the new location.