Gosraj

Reputable
May 29, 2015
I'm getting a new PC and I want to transfer everything I have on my current one onto the new one. I'm planning on doing this by purchasing a new CPU, motherboard, RAM, etc. Everything is the same brand (i.e. Gigabyte) except for the CPU and GPU, which I'm going from AMD to Intel and from Radeon to GeForce. I'm getting new 1tb SSD and pairing it with my current 128gb SSD, so they're both in the new computer, for a total of ~1152gb. Would this work? Would all my files and setting transfer? Would Windows 10 still work or would I need to purchase it again? The new SSD is also gonna be a completely different brand so will that effect anything? (Old one is Sandisk new one is Western Digital)

Mar 3, 2019
if your wondering will windows 10 work. if i put a Hard drive in to a new computer.
Yes and no. if you wont it work. you would have to remove all drives and programs related to the motherboard, GPU, chip-sets, everything related to the old hardware.
when you do. windows 10 will pick up on the change of hardware. and will maybe ask to reg windows again.
as long as you have the key. and if you have to ring Microsoft. just explain you have all new hardware and are no longer using the old PC.
I think you can reg a key 6 times before Microsoft says that the max of use for this key has been used.

and if your moving hard drives try cloning. but same step above

Gosraj

Reputable
May 29, 2015
if your wondering will windows 10 work. if i put a Hard drive in to a new computer.
Yes and no. if you wont it work. you would have to remove all drives and programs related to the motherboard, GPU, chip-sets, everything related to the old hardware.
when you do. windows 10 will pick up on the change of hardware. and will maybe ask to reg windows again.
as long as you have the key. and if you have to ring Microsoft. just explain you have all new hardware and are no longer using the old PC.
I think you can reg a key 6 times before Microsoft says that the max of use for this key has been used.

and if your moving hard drives try cloning. but same step above

Sorry for the late reply, for some reason I never got an email saying you commented even thought I made sure to set it so that it sends emails

Anyways, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by all that. Like I get that I'll need new drivers and stuff, but what about my files? Like pictures, games, programs, etc?

Sorry for the late reply, for some reason I never got an email saying you commented even thought I made sure to set it so that it sends emails

Anyways, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by all that. Like I get that I'll need new drivers and stuff, but what about my files? Like pictures, games, programs, etc?

If you are swapping motherboards, you will need to do a clean Windows setup on the SSD. You can copy your files, programs will need to be re-installed on the new build.

If u kept you data well organized this will be simple, and a chore otherwise.

OS+programs need to be re-installed. Custom settings no transferable am afraid.

In order to re-use Windows License, (1)De-register from old machine, (2)re-intall and Re-register on new.

Gosraj

Reputable
May 29, 2015
If you are swapping motherboards, you will need to do a clean Windows setup on the SSD. You can copy your files, programs will need to be re-installed on the new build.

I can just copy the .exe files onto the new computer so I don't have to like manually go to each website and whatnot right? Just run the .exe on the new computer?

USAFRet

Titan
I can just copy the .exe files onto the new computer so I don't have to like manually go to each website and whatnot right? Just run the .exe on the new computer?
No, you will need to get the actual installation file.
Not just the "exe" that already exists on your old system.

As above, you need to do a full OS reinstall. And everything else.

Also:
For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change