Transferring old Hard Drive to New Computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

panical

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Hello I am really in need her. I am going to build a new computer for gaming. I have a 4 year old all-in-one computer from best buy. It has a 1tb drive. It has SATA interface, so does the new Motherboard going to buy. Will I be able to take my 1tb drive with windows 7 on it, and put it into my new computer. Will windows 7 work on there? I have searched and searched, but all I am coming up with is different answers. Losing files and such is not a big deal, I can just download the games again(I don't have any important files on my HDD.) The computer will be a phenom ii x4 965 black edition with a Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard. Transfering the old HDD and getting windows 7 to work is the part that is stressing me out the most. Thanks for any help!!!!

Solution
Windows on old HD will not work on new hardware.

I'd suggest the following:

1. Buy an SSD and install to SATA 0 port
2. Install Windows on the SSD; run Windows Update over and over again till it stops doing anything
3. Install the old HD into computer.
4. Install the old HD to SATA 1 port
5. Delete the Windows installation on the HD .... look at SSD folders / file list to see what is windows
6. Install old programs and games over themselves to set registry entries in new Windows install on SSD.
7. Defrag the HD

You can add Windows Migration Tool to the mix if ya wanna migrate settings but I wouldn't bother.
Windows on old HD will not work on new hardware.

I'd suggest the following:

1. Buy an SSD and install to SATA 0 port
2. Install Windows on the SSD; run Windows Update over and over again till it stops doing anything
3. Install the old HD into computer.
4. Install the old HD to SATA 1 port
5. Delete the Windows installation on the HD .... look at SSD folders / file list to see what is windows
6. Install old programs and games over themselves to set registry entries in new Windows install on SSD.
7. Defrag the HD

You can add Windows Migration Tool to the mix if ya wanna migrate settings but I wouldn't bother.

Solution

rdzona

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Anytime you change out multiple hardware components like that you really should just do a fresh install of the OS. You can get away with things like swapping out a gpu, or some sata device like dvd player, but when using a new MB, cpu, ram just plan on doing a fresh install.

panical

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

How do I do a fresh install if my computer didn't come with a DVD to install windows?

panical

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

Even if I was to buy a SSD I don't know how I would install windows. I didn't get a DVD to start up the installation.

Enginerd87

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
You won't be able to re-use Windows 7 from a pre-built OEM PC on a new home built PC. The windows 7 license is almost certainly an OEM license and is tied to the old PC. When you attempt to activate it you will most likely not be able to. You will likely need to buy another windows 7 license.

Traildriver

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010

Agreed. The old OS is only for the old MB. Not only that, most OEMs have drivers written for their "special edition" hardware components.

Buy a new copy of the OS in whatever flavor desired and install it to the new PC

rdzona

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011

^^This. You "could" buy another OEM license, which are much cheaper than a normal retail license, but technically that is an ethical no no. But I'm not your mom or the moral police so you do what you think is right.

panical

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

I guess this would be the easiest thing to do. Could I still use this HDD though? Could I install the new windows 7 on the old HDD. This would put me over budget already and I don't think I could afford to buy a SSD to install w7 on.

rdzona

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011

Yes you can. Just be mindful that your hdd is 4 years old. And they are mechanical devices and WILL fail at some point. It's never a question of IF it will fail it's more like WHEN will it fail.

Deathstalker

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

Maybe... But my 250 gb one is still going strong after 8 years...

Status
Not open for further replies.