[SOLVED] Transferring Old HDD with Windows to New Build

Hi, I'm currently planning a new build for my roommate. He found his old PC from like 2005, and would like to get the files from the HDD onto the new build.

My concern is that the HDD has a version of Windows already on it, possibly XP or Vista, and it may or may not conflict with the new boot drive being installed.

How can I avoid boot conflicts with the drives while still being able to access the old drive's files? I'd prefer not to format it because of this.

Solution
So you are going to have a new boot drive with the OS installed on it (and hopefully the OS was installed with the current hardware you are using).

BTW...install the OS with only that drive connected.

Leave the drive you want data off of disconnected.

Once you have confirmed it's running good.....shut down....connect the other drive....power up....it should boot from the right drive but I would go to BIOS and make sure the proper drive is at the top of the boot order.

Once it boots....you should be able the other drive as files in File Explorer.
So you are going to have a new boot drive with the OS installed on it (and hopefully the OS was installed with the current hardware you are using).

Once you have confirmed it's running good.....shut down....connect the other drive....power up....it should boot from the right drive but I would go to BIOS and make sure the proper drive is at the top of the boot order.

Reactions: DrummerManSpike
Solution
"So as long as the preferred boot drive is on top, it wont try to boot any other OS it sees in the boot list? "

It will only try to boot the second item on the list IF the first item is not bootable.

So if the first disk is bootable (as it should be) it should boot from that.

If the drive you are trying to get data from winds up in the boot list for whatever reason...as long as it isn't first....and as long as the first drive is bootable....you should be fine.

dreamteam

Reputable
Jul 29, 2020

ABSOLUTELY UNNECESSARY.
just disable the SATA port on the BIOS and it's done