Question Transferring or Activating my windows serial from my old laptop to a new one?

Airjyx

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
I have a laptop that I used since 2015, it just completed went black, I made an attempt to repair it but the places I took it to all had the same thing to say about the laptop. They all said the motherboard has gone bad. So now I am looking to get a new laptop (No OS installed) and then install windows 10 from a bootable USB stick on it. My question is this, can I transfer my windows 10 from the older laptop to this new laptop? The laptop wouldn't come on so I don't know how to get access to my old serial or activation key for windows on that laptop. Can someone help me out here?

USAFRet

Titan
I have a laptop that I used since 2015, it just completed went black, I made an attempt to repair it but the places I took it to all had the same thing to say about the laptop. They all said the motherboard has gone bad. So now I am looking to get a new laptop (No OS installed) and then install windows 10 from a bootable USB stick on it. My question is this, can I transfer my windows 10 from the older laptop to this new laptop? The laptop wouldn't come on so I don't know how to get access to my old serial or activation key for windows on that laptop. Can someone help me out here?
An OEM license from a laptop is rarely transferable.

Where did the OS license come from?

USAFRet

Titan
Are these keys legal? not the "cracked" versions? Hope youy don't mind if I as but can you give some of these websites where I can get legit windows keys?
"Not Cracked" is not the same as "Fully legal".

They may be "legit", as in originally purchased from Microsoft.
But also, a conduit for money laundering.

There is no 'cheap + valid' when it comes to licensed software.

Reactions: Inthrutheoutdoor

Airjyx

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
Windows 10?
If you log on to your MS account, what does it say about that particular system and license?

For the laptop you're buying (from where?) what is the price difference between OS and No OS?

Yes, Windows 10. Previous laptop was from the UK got that one in 2014, the new one I intend to get is from Germany. There's a 300 euro difference between the laptop with an OS and the one without an OS. I don't think I registered my previous laptop to MS (can't remember anyway), is it possible to use my laptop serial number to figure out if it was registered on MS

USAFRet

Titan
Previous laptop was from the UK got that one in 2014, the new one I intend to get is from Germany. There's a 300 euro difference between the laptop with an OS and the one without an OS. I don't think I registered my previous laptop to MS (can't remember anyway), is it possible to use my laptop serial number to figure out if it was registered on MS
300 euro!
Highway robbery!

Win 10/11 Home is only ~$100, direct from a valid source.

Did you never create an account with Microsoft for the previous license?
If not, then it is NOT transferable.

Airjyx

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
300 euro!
Highway robbery!

Here are both of them, the one with an OS and the one without an OS

Lenovo Legion 5i 15IAH7H 82RB007DGE

Lenovo Legion 5 15IAH 82RB00LLGE i7-12700H 16GB/1TB 15" WQHD RTX3070 nOS

I can't remember if I created an account, is there a way to confirm this using the old laptop serial number?

Airjyx

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
300 euro!
Highway robbery!

Can you help me with the link where I can get this for about $100?

USAFRet

Titan
Can you help me with the link where I can get this for about $100?
Microsoft, $139
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/d/windows-10-home/d76qx4bznwk4?rtc=1&activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Amazon, $110
https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Builder-Windоws-Intended-Upgradable/dp/B00ZSI7Y3U

Newegg, $110
https://www.newegg.com/microsoft-windows-10-home-64-bit/p/N82E16832416892

If yo find it much cheaper elsewhere, you have to ask yourself...how?
What illegal/not valid magic does that site have?

Eh gray area isn't illegal. I can point you to a site that is recommended by a former Microsoft employee that has verified with Microsoft that the keys are legit and legal.

USAFRet

Titan
Eh gray area isn't illegal. I can point you to a site that is recommended by a former Microsoft employee that has verified with Microsoft that the keys are legit and legal.
It's not necessarily "illegal".

But, what is that low price supporting?

It may well be a valid license, bought directly from MS.
With a stolen credit card, supporting money laundering.

Personally, I'd prefer not to support that.
YMMV.